Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2010, 07:23 PM

Dwayne I want to eat at moms house too. sound yummy
Old 11-06-2010, 04:47 AM
macmom111 and Dwayne,
Thank you so much, we are blessed and having my sister here with us is truly awesome. She is getting her favorite pie all to herself..Keylime

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 11-06-2010, 06:27 AM

This is the first Thanksgiving that I can remember that we will be alone, just the two of us. Both our daughter and son, with the children will be going to their spouses family gatherings this year. I think we will still do the full traditional fare (but on a smaller scale 2 vs 15 people)which here includes the traditional French meat pie as a side dish. We can just take it easy, eat when we want and enjoy a fire in the livingroom as its been getting colder here lately. We could also go out to eat with one of my wife's cousin and spouse (we introduced them to cruising) who live about 1/2 hour from here. We will miss the family and the bustle but we have our family Xmas party coming up in about a month and we will be together with about 70 at a hall.
I can almost taste the turkey now !

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 11-06-2010, 08:46 AM
Quote:
traditional French meat pie
Peter I
Oh my goodness, we always had to have that on Christmas Eve you must be up North or in Canada.
You made me think of my childhood. I still make it from time to time but folks here in Virginia don't know what it is. I would love your receipe.

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 11-06-2010, 05:56 PM

Hey Janfred

I have a great recipe for meat pie (acadian style), if you want it, let me know.

B
Old 11-07-2010, 12:34 AM
Bub,
Yes, I would love to try it also. Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving !!

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 11-07-2010, 06:59 AM

Hi Janfred, I'll see if my wife has it written down. I know that prior to the filling going into the pie, a taste test is done to check for just the right amount of spices and salt. It is an old Canadian receipe that has been passed along (we live in the NE)from Memere to Mother, to daughter, and now from Memere again to another generation. Two of three Granddaughters have helped make meat pies recently and it is now tradition to come over to Memere's home to help make a couple of meat pies. During the Holidays from Thanksgiving thru New Years, between 6 & 8 pies will be created this way. Everyone in the family is crazy about Memere's meat pie. Were you originally from the NE?

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 11-07-2010, 07:29 AM
Administrator

Peter and Bub, if you don't mind, I'd love the recipes, also.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:48 AM
Forgive me if this goes too long or seems inappropriate..but it's my favorite Thanksgiving story (with Nadine in mind)
The first Thanksgiving after my divorce,my kids were with their father and I just wanted to get away from it all.
I booked a condo at a ski resort in Maine. The woman on the reservation line was adamant that I just book a hotel room, but I wanted a condo so I could cook.
I put a turkey in the oven and went and skiied all day. Later, I ducked into the hot tub to soothe my aching muscles along with my broken heart. There weren't many people there, and I wanted nothing to do with men, as they were the enemy in my book. I got into a spat of sorts with another skiier. It seems his wife had left him for someone she had met on the internet.
He had driven up from Boston that day, and thought that being single his relatives would fill his tupperware with leftovers, but they hadn't offered.
And there I was with 10 pounds of turkey and no interest in food.
The rest as they say is history. What are the odds of driving 8 hours and meeting someone who lives 45 minutes away from you? Next August we will celebrate our 10th anniversary.
I know it sounds cliche, but your daughter and grandson will be fine. Awhole new set of traditions may be right around the next corner.

~
~ ~
____/7__/7__/7__________
\ :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: /
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Antigua Travel Deals & Special Offers
Old 11-07-2010, 07:52 AM

Hi Janfred,

Here is my recipe for meat pies (also passed along). Hope you enjoy.

1 pound lean ground beef
1 pound lean ground pork
1 pound turkey or chicken (ground or chopped)
2 onions chopped
2 cloves garlic minced
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 TBS summer savory
1 OXO chicken broth cube
3/4 cup boiling water

Brown meat in a large cast iron kettle (can you imagine? that's how old this recipe is) Add onion, garlic, broth and spices and simmer for 30 minutes. Spread meat into 3 uncooked pie shells. Another shell on top and slit to release steam. Bake at 450 for 30 minutes. These pies acquire more flavour when reheated.

Note: If you have venison, would make a very good replacement for any of the meats suggested.

Let me know if you make it. Happy Thankgiving to all of you, we had ours last month. Enjoy!

B

Tags
cruise, cruises, forum, review, reviews, thanksgiving