Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2010, 09:57 AM

Just wondered what everyone was doing for Thanksgiving. I'm not lucky enough to be going on a cruise, so I'll be cooking. I'm going to check with HoneyBaked hams to see if I can purchase just a pound or two. Since there's only 2 of us, it just goes to waste or in the freezer if I cook a huge meal.

If I can't get the honeybaked ham, I'll get some country ham slices. I'm going to fix cheesy grits, turnip greens, and rolls to go along with the ham.

I know some of you will be sailing and enjoying magnificent cuisine, prepared by wonderful chefs, and served by fantastic waiters. Then you don't have to worry about cleaning. Wish I were among you, but alas, I'll be here.

So...what's the menu and anyone having loads of family/company over?
Old 11-05-2010, 11:56 AM

We are going to our daughter's house near Chicago. She got divorced this year, so there won't be a big family deal with us and her in-laws like in the past.

Since she is allergic to turkey and there will just be four of us, I suggested that we go out to eat somewhere. Then everyone can have whatever they want. I don't know if she is going to go along with that or not! It is her son's year to be with his dad, so I think it would be relaxing to just go to a nice restaurant and let them do the cooking and cleaning! We'll see! Traditions are hard to break, but I am all about making new traditions when the occasion calls for it.

The fun part will be that our 8 year old grandson (after dinner at dad's) will join us at the motel and we will swim and have a slumber party. He thinks that is pretty cool!

Nadine
Old 11-05-2010, 01:02 PM

we are on baby watch, our son and his wife are expecting their first baby on the 20th so if Hannah has not arrived yet we will be waiting. Going to the baby son and his wife for Thanksgiving if the baby has arrived. if not we will be eating bologna sandwiches here at the house. lol
Old 11-05-2010, 01:33 PM

Nadine and macmom111, I like both of your ideas. Maybe I'll change my mind
Old 11-05-2010, 02:20 PM

We were invited to a friends house. We really enjoy time with them, the problem is they have a couple of friend and some older kids we do not enjoy, so we have 'other plans".
We can go to my Brother's home. It is about a 2 1/2 hour drive. Problem is with the Valley fog we get in California, I just do not like to drive in it any more.
At times I wish we lived closed to the kids. At the same time we are so happy and blessed that they are doing well.
I bought a turkey breast with all the fixins the other day. I will cook it up for my wife. When I cook turkey I am really popular with our cats.
Good meal and being with the one you love what more could you want.
I hope everyone has a very good Thanksgiving.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:22 PM

Just staying home. Not sure how many, if any, will be joining the 4 of my family members, including me. My parents, my sister and me. Roasted turkey, rice stuffing, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, and pumpkin pie for dessert. As snacks we'll probably have vegetables and crackers with artichoke dip.

My mom is Asian, so that's why we have rice stuffing as opposed to bread based stuffing.
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)
Old 11-05-2010, 04:38 PM
My entire family lives all over the place. We mostly spend Thanksgiving alone in VA but.....THIS year we will have a house full. I am so excited too!
My sister almost died from a botched gall balder surgery and spent 2 weeks in the intensive care unit and weeks in the hospital and Rehab. She has made it thru all this since July and is strong enough to be coming in her RV from SC with her VERY happy husband who went thru a lot also. My one and only daughter is coming too with her very FUN Husband from Nashville,TN and my oldest sister who lost her spouse last Feb is coming from RI. So this will be a very special day that we can all share after so many years apart.

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 11-05-2010, 05:22 PM

Jan it sounds like you will have a very thankful thanksgiving. As will I.
I am sorry for all the problems and sadness you have had but thankful for all yall will have to celebrate. God Bless!!!
Old 11-05-2010, 06:13 PM

Out to the parent's place for Thanksgiving. My aunt and uncle, both sisters, and my nephew. My mom always invites my best friend too as he has no family here. My nephew only sees me a few times a year so he likes to hang right with me and play games. Family time - I love it! Standard fare is always roast turkey, two kinds of stuffing (well, one stuffing and one dressing), mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans, cranberry salad, sweet potato casserole, deviled eggs, and celery with pineapple cream cheese. I'm sure I left something out.

Then after all of that mom has a buffet of homemade desserts. I better wear "expando" pants this time.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:15 PM

Jan, I'm sorry to hear of all you've been through. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving day with your family.

Dwayne

Tags
cruise, cruises, forum, review, reviews, thanksgiving