Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2008, 09:15 AM

Not that I don't enjoy wine, but I'm more of a beer guy. I've relatively recently discovered that there is more to beer than just getting drunk (not that I mind doing that sometimes ). Just like a wine, a beer can have tons of great aromas, flavors and feels, and each beer is unique in its own way.

What are some of your favorites and why? I'd like to hear from anyone from the average joe, to the beer geek (no beer snobs though ). Any suggestions for brews we should seek out, and why, are appreciated!

Since I'm still relatively new at appreciating "good" beer, I haven't had too much experience with the rare and harder to find brews - most of the ones I like are relatively easy to get. But here are a few that I prefer, when given the option : Magic Hat #9, Blue Moon, most by Sam Adams (just bought the Winter Sampler and am excited to try a few I haven't had before), Dungee IPA (tried this for the first time the other day and enjoyed it), Guinness (of course), Bluepoint, Smithwicks, Heineken Light (though I'm getting over that one - starting to prefer Amstel Light), Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat, Stella, and some others I can't think of now.

My cheap beer of choice is Miller Light
Old 10-29-2008, 10:11 AM

Amstel Light and Carlsberg Elephant Light are my 2 favorites. Heineken is ok. Domestic beer-Michelob Ultra. But I'm not much of a beer drinker. It has to be really, really hot outside and the beer has to be really, really, really cold. I do like Smirnoff Ice.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:42 AM

smirnoff gives me a toothache....thats the stuff we used to drink in high school before we developed a taste for beer!
Old 10-29-2008, 01:30 PM

I'm a big Millar fan, tinnies, not bottled stuff. I've just found out about Sam Adams, tried it for the first time on our last cruise, very nice, smooth too.
For truly excellent beer you can't go wrong with a good old pint of the black stuff, Guinness. I took my daughter to the Guinness factory tour for her 18th this year and let her sample the what a good beer is all about, and I do believe she's hooked.
I was hooked on Moosehead beer for a long time and I can't get it in the UK for some reason. I think the Canadians didn't like to see it leave.
I've gone right of Bud these days, just seems to be so weak and thin.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 10-29-2008, 02:20 PM
Grolsch--my favorite all-occasion beer. Crisp, clean, full-bodied, slightly bitter aftertaste; and it's probably no coincidence that Princess stocks the 20 oz. bottles.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:35 PM

about Guinness - i worked in England for a while, and before i left everyone made such a big deal about how it tasted better in the UK, and especially in Dublin, where the brewery is located (St. James Gate has since been sold, actually - but thats not the point).

Well, to be honest I was not at all impressed by the Guinness in the UK or Dublin - it tasted good, but no better or worse than it did here in NY. However, when I took a tour of the brewery in Dublin, I actually did notice a nice difference in the free pint you get there. I can't remember what it was, but I do remember thinking to myself "Wow, this DOES taste better"

on a side note, one of my favorite ways to drink Guinness is to float half a pint of either Magic Hat #9, Bluepoint Bluberry, or Smithwicks on top of it. Black and Tan (or Half and Half) style...Bass Ale being the more traditional beer to use

EDIT - meant to say that i float the Guinness on top, not the other way around
Old 10-29-2008, 02:55 PM
Administrator

I don't drink much beer anymore but used to, perhaps to excess at times. I also brewed my own for a few years, branching out from basic ales into dark beer. It got to be a hassle and I gave it up. Owing to beers affect on gout - as in facilitating a gout attack - I had to cut down drastically. I'll have a few on occasion but that is it.

Since quantity is out I go for quality and like most of the Samuel Adams stuff. I also like Canadian lagers. When I was younger and living back in NY I was quite the Moosehead fan. It is an extremely smooth and drinkable beer. Molson can be good but they seem to have a skunk problem if you aren't careful.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:53 PM
When I was a youngster living in NY State, it Genesee Cream Ale - from the tap, ice cold bottles if not in a bar ... Not a beer drinker anymore, but on the few occasions I've found Genny in a store in Tucson - in cans - it's just not the same. Don't know if it's memories are fonder or if they just don't make it the way they used to. Kinda like finding Drake's Cakes or Wise Potato Chips or Old London Cheese Doodles. It's just not the same.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Genesee Cream Ale
Ah yes. Genny Cream. It was excellent on tap and fueled many a kegger that I attended over the years in upstate NY. The definitive beer for a winter night in a NY bar playing pool or listening to a live band.

Odd that Genesee could make such a good beer and yet their regular beer was swill. I'll also give some good grades to Genny 12 Horse Ale.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:23 AM

I am in Asheville, NC, alot and, when there, I love to visit the Root Bar. RootBar is also the home to the game, Root Ball. Root ball is not only a fun game but a perfect compliment to a great bar as well. They have lots of live bluegrass and bohemian music to soothe the soul while you drink some of their premium beers. My favorite is the EKU 28. It's a German lager that you will never see in Alabama. It's more stout than a Guiness and is blessed with an 11% alcohol by volume. It may be German but God bless America for serving it.

Closed Thread

Tags
12, ale, amstel, beer, cruise, drinking, genesee, gout, horse, light, moosehead, preference, smithwicks, tastes