Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2007, 10:17 PM

Hi Andy,

We recently returned from going on the Legend. When are you going?

Dwayne
Old 11-14-2007, 07:57 AM

I'm going to recommend Yellowtail (an Australian winery). Their Pinot Grigio is really quite nice as is their Merlot. But any of their wines are quite good. Another good, inexpensive wine is Fat Bastard Cabernet (no, that's not a joke).

Old 11-14-2007, 01:35 PM

Hi Dwayne:

We are going on Dec 2 and just can't wait! Did you have an overall good experience?

ANDY
Old 11-15-2007, 12:54 PM

Hi Andy,

Yes it was a great cruise. The ship is in excellent condition, service and food was awesome. We did miss Grand Cayman, but it was due to sea conditions. They should have the ship decorated for the Holidays when you board. Say hi to Joey, he runs the Unicorn bar on aft lido. Hope you have a wonderful anniversary and birthday cruise. Don't forget to be up on deck when the ship goes under the bridge.

Chuck -

I have tried the Yellowtail Merlot, and agree it was really nice. I had forgot about that, thanks, I may pick up a bottle of their pinot and try for Thanksgiving.

Dwayne
Old 11-15-2007, 03:54 PM

I know absolutely nothing about wine. When I attend the wine tasting aboard a ship I shutter when I taste the different wines. If it's a acquired taste, I don't think I want to taste enough to acquire it. I do enjoy plum wine, but it's hard to find on most ships. I also like white zinfandel, even though it's pink. As a diamond plus member, I'm called prior to the cruise and asked what I want in my room. They don't offer white zinfandel, so I end up giving what I get to someone else. I can't imagine paying over a $100 for a bottle of wine and not enjoying it. However, if I would stray away from $10 Merlots and taste the top shelf stuff, I may whittle an appreciation of wine. I do have a favorite, it's the same as f-mattox's; Asti Spumanti.

Sonny
Old 11-16-2007, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by drlivingston:
White
Charles Krug Sauvignon Blanc---California
Simi Chardonnay California-----California
Bethel Heights Pinot Blanc-----Oregon

Red
Laetitia Pinot Noir------------California
Seven Deadly Zins Zinfandel----California

When in doubt, anything from the Shug Vineyard in California is a great choice in white or red varieties. All of the above mentioned wines are available for less than $20. When it comes to high quality inexpensive wines I am very partial to the Pacific coast of the U.S. as they have proven far more consistent with their quality versus other regions of the world.
drlivingston,

The best red wine I have ever enjoyed was a 2002 Behrens & Hitchcock Syrah from Alder Springs Vineyard in hommage to Ed Olivera.

This wine was so special, we sipped it at dinner and had them re-cork it for the next dinner. Nothing I have ever tasted has came close to this. We kept tasting all the different flavors.

I want to thank you again,

Dwayne
Old 11-16-2007, 07:12 AM

Dwayne, I'm just curious. Would you buy that wine at home? I know it's in the $100 price range. I wish I could sample a really good wine like you had.

Sonny
Old 11-16-2007, 10:06 AM

Quote:
This wine was so special, we sipped it at dinner and had them re-cork it for the next dinner.
Dwayne, just curious - how long was it before you reopened and finished it? Was a cuvinet or some type of vacuum seal used? The reason I ask is that unless properly resealed, wines will "oxidize" very quickly and the taste will be off.

IMHO, you are much better off to either enjoy a good wine to the end or (whether on land or at sea) give what's left to the staff for them to enjoy!

Old 11-16-2007, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sonny V:
Dwayne, I'm just curious. Would you buy that wine at home? I know it's in the $100 price range. I wish I could sample a really good wine like you had.

Sonny
Sonny, I would not buy it at home. I could not afford it, and truthfully I did not know how expensive it was. I knew it was not a wine one buys at the grocery store. It was a very generous gift to celebrate our cruise. I am greatly appreciative for it.

Dwayne
Old 11-16-2007, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ChucksOK:
quote:
This wine was so special, we sipped it at dinner and had them re-cork it for the next dinner.
Dwayne, just curious - how long was it before you reopened and finished it? Was a cuvinet or some type of vacuum seal used? The reason I ask is that unless properly resealed, wines will "oxidize" very quickly and the taste will be off.

IMHO, you are much better off to either enjoy a good wine to the end or (whether on land or at sea) give what's left to the staff for them to enjoy!

Chuck, We finished it the next evening at dinner. They kept it at room temp. with the original cork. It still had the same taste. It may depend on how the wine has been cared for in the years prior to opening. This wine had been cared for exceptionally well before given to me. Then I followed the instructions for care when I recieved it.

Dwayne

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, charles, krug, royal