Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2008, 10:53 PM

Work is not cruel and unusual punishment. I was always taught it was good for the body and soul. Lord knows prison inmates can use anything possible that will help their souls. I guess it must embarrass the poor dears to be seen in chains. We certainly don't want them to have low self esteem issues, then we'll have to invest in counselors and shrinks to make them feel better about themselves. What has happened to prison being punishment. Being sentanced to XX years of hard labor has become XX years of cable TV and fitness facilities in some prisons. We could use the low cost labor to help rebuild our infrastructure and keep our highways clean among other things they could do to repay their debt to society.

I guess I'm just not sensative enough to their needs and rights. They probably had a rough upbringing. Their parents probably even spanked them! Can you imagine, no wonder they had to stoop to a life of crime.

Cheers, Neil
Old 05-17-2008, 05:09 AM

Hey, they should be happy that we don't make them part of a chain gang any more.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:29 AM

I grew up in Va. and it was common for inmates to pick up trash beside the roads. If I ever get arrested I hope it is in Mayberry NC.

Dwayne
Old 05-18-2008, 08:06 AM
Administrator

Update on my county sheriff - the annual sheriff reserve rodeo was last night and he got nailed by an angry bull! Dislocated shoulder.

Perhaps those inmates will be having lots of beef soon!
Old 05-19-2008, 11:11 AM

I think sheriff Joe has the right idea. I don't understand why we can't do that all across the US. Just as I don't understand how illegal aliens can get food stamps, housing assistance, cars, and medical care while citizens can't. I don't understand why work is cruel and unusual punishment for prisoners, yet I have to do it every day. Why can't prisoners grow and can their own food? I do. I don't slaughter animals, but I do grow veggies and berries. Why is it cruel and unusual punishment for prisoners? Too bad Ricky Ricardo isn't around to have them do some "splaining".
Old 05-19-2008, 11:20 AM
Administrator

quote:
Why is it cruel and unusual punishment for prisoners?

They might get sunburned out there weeding the garden!
Old 05-19-2008, 12:57 PM

We can't have prisoners taking jobs away from the folks coming across the border, then they'd have to rely on more Gov't hand outs like those food stamps and housing allowances. They don't even call them food stamps any more. They get a credit card so there is no shame in paying with it at the supermarket.

Things have certainly changed in my lifetime. There once was so much shame involved in getting handouts people would work 2 full time jobs and a part time job to avoid having to mooch off the system. Now we have folks who make their living finding ways to not only get that money rather than work any job, but scam the system to get as much as possible. I grew up in Appalachia, in easten Ky. My folks never had much and with 4 kids it wasn't always easy to get by. We never went hungry and never thought of ourselves as poor although at times we'd probably have fit the definition. Folks just worked as long and as hard as they needed to to take care of their families. If that meant the kids needed to work and contribute, they did, willingly. Now a household considered poor may have two cars in the driveway, two or more TVs WITH CABLE and video games attached! and CELL PHONES! But they use their Gov't card to buy their groceries and watch cable and play the video games instead of looking for that second or third job. They don't need to, they can rely on the taxpayer to provide housing and meals.

Sorry for the rant, I think prisoners can and should work. More importantly, I think those not in prison (at least one with bars, you can make the case that being on the public dime is a form of prison itself) should be offered positions to clean the highways and other non-skilled labor right along side the folks in orange suits. Or train them to build and repair the highways. Why should these things be contracted out to outside firms when we have a labor market in our institutions and sitting at home on the couch drawing assistance.

Cheers, Neil
Old 05-19-2008, 01:03 PM
Administrator

quote:
They don't even call them food stamps any more. They get a credit card so there is no shame on paying with it at the supermarket.

They are called "EBT" Cards. Electronic Benefits Transfer.

Roosevelt's New Deal had many bad things in it, but one good program was the Civil Conservation Corps. It provided jobs to men in a quasi-military environment, but it allowed people who were unemployed to have some dignity, a small wage, and be productive. The CCC built many bridges, roads, cleared land, etc. Much of their work still stands.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:24 PM

quote:
it allowed people who were unemployed to have some dignity, a small wage, and be productive.

The small wage may have paid for the groceries but in that time, I'll bet the majority would have said that the dignity part you refer to was the greatest benefit. There is indeed dignity in earning your way through life and independence from Gov't hand outs.

Cheers, Neil

Closed Thread

Tags
alabama, beans, cornbread, feeding, food, jail, prison, reviews