Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2008, 03:43 PM
Administrator

This one struck home since it uses comments from my county's sheriff (Mike Blakely), who is an acquaintance of mine and a mighty fine lawman.

Mike's jail is known locally for serving pretty good food. One thing the Fox story fails to mention - beans, greens, squash, cornbread, and sweet tea is a classic southern meal that is quite popular in homes and local restaurants too. I can attest to it's being "mighty good eatin'".
Old 05-16-2008, 03:43 PM
Administrator

This one struck home since it uses comments from my county's sheriff (Mike Blakely), who is an acquaintance of mine and a mighty fine lawman.

Mike's jail is known locally for serving pretty good food. One thing the Fox story fails to mention - beans, greens, squash, cornbread, and sweet tea is a classic southern meal that is quite popular in homes and local restaurants too. I can attest to it's being "mighty good eatin'".
Old 05-16-2008, 04:05 PM

I think that's a great program and wish other government agencies could be so frugal. When you hear of success stories on saving tax payer dollars, instead of abolishing the programs they should institute them for other states and other areas of government. Wouldn't you love to see such restraint on Congress for their expense accounts? Maybe implimenting the Walmart traveling requirements on them where they had to share a room with another congressman at a budget motel to save tax payers in their district tax money!

Cheers, Neil
Old 05-16-2008, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Exactly. These are PRISONERS after all. I like the logic of Joe Arpaio, the famous sheriff in Arizona. He started feeding his jail bag lunches of bologna sandwiches, a bag of chips, and a piece of fruit years ago. The logic being if it is good enough for the typical American worker then it is certainly adequate for a prisoner. Where it was written that jails had to serve three hot meals a day, I don't know.

To be honest, my county's jail inmates ate better on the day mentioned in the news report than I usually do.

As you know, I retired from TVA. When I first joined the agency in the early 1980's, we had a bloated workforce but oddly enough the company cars and travel was tight. We had a fleet of Chevettes with no air conditioning or radios. Travel per diem was very tight and a Motel 6 style place was required. We were expected to eat cheap meals unless we paid for it ourselves.

Things got more extravagant over the years, and it was embarrassing a few years ago when a TV station learned that TVA had leased a skybox at a NASCAR speedway to entertain bigwigs.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:48 PM

quote:
I like the logic of Joe Arpaio, the famous sheriff in Arizona.

I love that guy! He's also the one who got tired of his inmates pants sagging off their butts in lockup and especially when they did road crew work and such in public places. He had a dress code in place but the inmates refused to follow it. Sooooooo, he ordered all new prison underwear in pink! Now if their pants droop their pink panties show. No more problem with dress code! My brother is a foreman for a big glass company in Ohio. He heard this story and got an idea to save his company money. The guys would lose or forget their hard hats when they'd show up to the job site. The company would provide loaners and they'd then turn up missing constantly. He ordered pink loaner hard hats and not amazingly, nobody ever loses or forgets to bring their hard hat any more.

Folks who come up with such brilliant sollutions to everyday prolems that resolve such problems are to be commended and emulated. But there are always those who prefer to coddle. The ACLU contemplated bringing suit against Joe for violating the prisoners civil rights. Where does it say someone has the right while in prison to a certain color underwear or to show it to the public? I think a few parents who don;t like the way their kids dress could learn from Joe.

Cheers, Neil
Old 05-16-2008, 05:02 PM
Administrator

I remember the pink underwear flap. He also erected a tent city to house inmates and took away their smoking privileges. Sounds like when I was in boot camp at Parris Island - except for the pink underwear .

I remember 10 or 15 years ago Alabama reinstated chain gangs. They did a lot of road work and other things, but of course the do-gooders were aghast and ended up getting the program stopped.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:21 PM

My Dad was a cook in the California Prison system. He used to hate hungry strikes. They still had to cook food for everyone. The prisoners who did not want to strike did so anyway out of fear. They had to march them thru the chow line.... then throw most of it away and prepare the next meal. I do not know if it is the same now but 20 years ago California would only feed 10% left overs. Man I love left overs . Dad always wished they could just quit cooking and wait for the guys to start begging for food. Oh course they could not do that.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:05 PM
Administrator

quote:
My Dad was a cook in the California Prison system

A hard job, for sure. Kudos to your father. I wouldn't have done it.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:50 PM
Anybody in California remember when honor farm inmates used to keep our freeways clean? Now we pay Caltrans workers big bucks to do it.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:04 PM

Thanks Dave. Dad never had a problem in the prison . He worked for the CYA (California Youth Authority) for a few years before he transfer to the Prison system. He did not like it there. The kids were out to prove a point and most carried a big chip. The older prisoner as a whole were not a problem and had nothing to prove, just wanted to do their time.

Ric we do pay Cal Trans big bucks, but from the looks of the road in Northern Ca, I am not sure they clean them.

Had to add this. We will in a high fire danger area. Every year the Firemen make their rounds to inspect property. The want to make sure you have all high weeds and fire danger cleared for 100' around all buildings.
They say it cost too much to send those big trucks and crews out to inspect. This year they are sending out postcards. Asking us to fill them out and check out the boxes saying we did a self inspection. I think they should get a high mileage car of some kind and send a couple of guys out. Those that do not clean are not going to turn themselves in.

Closed Thread

Tags
alabama, beans, cornbread, feeding, food, jail, prison, reviews