Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2008, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by penny3333:
She said, they'd sit in a sauna and then go jump in the snow. Didn't sound like fun to me
Hehe, Penny that's more of a Finnish tradition, but of course - when norwegians have enough to drink we often adopt fun cultural habbits from our neighbours and others

The big "hit" in Norway the latest years has been a bathtub heated by woods, a huge tub that can fit many people and drinks

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 07-07-2008, 12:17 PM

That sounds a lot better than jumping in the snow
Old 07-10-2008, 01:25 AM
I did watch a program on TV on the Travel Channel recently. It was about RVs (recreation vehicles). And here in my home state of Florida; in the town of Lake Worth; there was this Finnish man who made an original RV by welding three vans together. And attached to this unusual RV was a trailer he converted into a sauna. On the program, it shows him and his friends enjoying the sauna. Then afterwards, they would go jump in a lake, nearby.

I suppose they would have jumped in snow, if only they weren't in Florida

Anyway, Lake Worth, Florida is located on the eastern side of the pennisula halfway between Miami and Orlando (or should I say Cape Canaveral). Allot of Finnish people have immigrated and now live in that town. And allot more Finnish visit Lake Worth during the coldest days of winter back in Finland.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:33 AM
Quote:
quote:
she enjoyed smoking while she put on her makeup

That conjures up a disturbing mental image.

Dave
I agree Dave. I would imagine it to be quite difficult to smoke a cigarette and apply lipstick simultaneously.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:19 PM

On our recent cruise with Princess the Captain was introducing his officers. Finally he said "I am often asked what I do on the ship". The answer he gave was "some say not a lot but - I'm in charge!"
I like a Captain who thinks like that!
Old 07-10-2008, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
The answer he gave was "some say not a lot but - I'm in charge!"

Me too. It shows he has confidence in his officers and crew to do their duties without the Captain micro-managing things. To me a good Captain provides oversight and coaching and leaves the hands-on stuff to the crew, except in rare situations.

In the U.S. Navy, the day-to-day operation of the ship was the job of the XO (Executive Officer or second-in-command). I believe the same holds true with most cruise lines, where the Staff Captain is the XO.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:36 AM
Banned

This is one I experienced myself...

I believe it was on the Holiday (but it might have been the Celebration)....

On one of the floors the Forward Elevator doors are very "brightly" decorated and this lady turned to her grown daughter and said

" Honey I don't think we have been in THIS ROOM. Do you know what it is?"

She said "it's an elevator Mom!"
Old 07-11-2008, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Beers:
quote:
The answer he gave was "some say not a lot but - I'm in charge!"

Me too. It shows he has confidence in his officers and crew to do their duties without the Captain micro-managing things. To me a good Captain provides oversight and coaching and leaves the hands-on stuff to the crew, except in rare situations.

In the U.S. Navy, the day-to-day operation of the ship was the job of the XO (Executive Officer or second-in-command). I believe the same holds true with most cruise lines, where the Staff Captain is the XO.

I understand what you're saying, Dave, but he must also show it by his actions and decisions - not only be saying it in front of the guests. Most captain's I've been with are truly great persons, letting us do our jobs and give us responsibilities and at the same time letting us know he's available for us 24/7.

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
agent, agents, asked, cruise, directors, google, guests, passengers, questions, ship, ships, silly, stupid, stupidest, travel