Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2009, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Yes, it also caused a big sand storm out west. At least we are on the warm side of it. Lots of people will be spending Christmas in airports.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:38 PM

I hope everyone makes it home, and those that are home don't lose power. I can't believe there are still people without power and water from the last storm. I have friends stretching from Kingsport, TN and up to Beckley, WV telling me they still don't have power and water since Friday.

Dwayne
Old 12-25-2009, 03:17 PM
In Colorado, we have a saying. "The weather will change with every stoplight." And it practically does! The snow and frigid cold outside will probably all be melted and warm within a day.
2011 - Navigator of the Seas
2011 - Jewel of the Seas
Old 01-04-2010, 05:54 PM
Administrator

So here I sit in the "heart of dixie", the "deep south", the south of mild winters. I am wearing a long-sleeved shirt and contemplating getting a sweater. It is 23 degrees outside and we didn't get above freezing today. The heat pumps (both of them) have been running continuously for the past 24 hours. But it gets better! We might get above freezing by Wednesday. And then it gets worse. Likely snow and sleet on Thursday, followed by record low temperatures Friday through Sunday. We could be close to or slightly below zero on Saturday morning.

This is the winter I last experienced 25 years ago when I first moved to Alabama.

I need to get more kerosene tomorrow for the space heaters. Heat pumps are very inefficient below 32 degrees. What I really need to do is move further south. Oh, but then they have freezing temperatures in Florida too.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:21 PM

I know what you mean! We have been in the lower 30's today, and 20's at night. My heat pump runs continuously, I am afraid it will conk out from being over worked. I am in the bottom unit of my building and think I am heating everyone else above me! I almost went out and bought a kerosene heater today. I used to have one when I lived in a drafty apt, but gave it away when I moved here. This building is not insulated properly for extended cold snaps like this.

I did pick up some long handles today, and am wearing them. They sure don't make them like they used to, they are way thin. Along with sweats! It looks colder in Alabama than SC though.

Dwayne
Old 01-04-2010, 07:58 PM
Administrator

A problem in Alabama is houses built in the past 20 years are largely designed assuming mild winters and warm summers. Thus they have vaulted ceilings and lot of windows. When a cold snap hits these newer homes are poorly designed and can't handle it - like our house. I'm sitting here typing right now and the ceiling is about 15 feet above me while sitting. So I am heating all that wasted space even though I have lots of ceiling fans. Plus all those windows and their lousy insulation.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:19 AM

I feel so badly for all of you folks in the states that are experiencing the kind of weather conditions that I'm seeing on the Weather Channel...Of course, we in the Northeast are very accustomed to frigid temps and lots of foul winter conditions.Currently 37 degrees here with sunshine and it feels great since we have lost the wind chill temps of late. I sure do hope that it ends soon for you all.

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 01-06-2010, 02:26 PM
WHAT'S HAPPENING WITH THE PLANET???

Here in Puerto Rico is super hot and it suppose to be winter time we ussually get around 70 degrees and it almost feel like summer(90 or more) so you get a cold winter there but here is like hell at the moment...
and this is not normal during winter here
Old 01-06-2010, 02:49 PM
Dave and Dwayne - C'mon up here to the "warm" NorthEast where the outside temp is in the mid 30's and we can sip umbrella drinks by the plastic palms!!!

BillyBuzzy

If I'm not here when you arrive...it's 'cause I'm busilly relaxing with Cas on his Lanai!!!
Old 01-06-2010, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Another New Englander reporting mild temperatures... at least for us. It was in the mid-30s today, up considerably from the past couple of weeks. Now, we're used to cold air temperatures. For those of you who aren't, please stay safe. Dress in layers. Remember to wear a hat. Watch out for any ice on the roads. And pay attention to the wind chills, or "real feel" temperatures. And, remember that your pets aren't accustomed to it, either, so please make sure they are safe, also.

Tags
2011, 30, august, blizzard, cruise, england, generators, pictures, powered, radar, reviews, snow, tornado, vbulletin, weather, wind