Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2011, 03:18 PM

Wow! Irene is packing the rain!
Old 08-26-2011, 07:20 PM

Wow Dwayne, you may get off easy compared to some of us. I'm in Central NJ, and appear to be right in Irene's path. We're under a Hurricane Warning until Saturday night, but it wouldn't surprise me if that warning extends into Sunday. I'm in an inland area (near Princeton, NJ), so I'm not worried that much about flooding, but I guess we can never be too sure.

Hope everyone stays safe during the storm. Unfortunately, for some of us, me included, we don't have much of a choice but to ride it out, so to speak. The last major storm to affect the area that I'm in was Tropical Storm Floyd back in 1999. I know that was a hurricane at one point, but by the time it got to our area it was downgraded to a Tropical Storm.
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)
Old 08-26-2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCPayne View Post
Wow Dwayne, you may get off easy compared to some of us. I'm in Central NJ, and appear to be right in Irene's path. We're under a Hurricane Warning until Saturday night, but it wouldn't surprise me if that warning extends into Sunday. I'm in an inland area (near Princeton, NJ), so I'm not worried that much about flooding, but I guess we can never be too sure.

Hope everyone stays safe during the storm. Unfortunately, for some of us, me included, we don't have much of a choice but to ride it out, so to speak. The last major storm to affect the area that I'm in was Tropical Storm Floyd back in 1999. I know that was a hurricane at one point, but by the time it got to our area it was downgraded to a Tropical Storm.
She is almost to my Longitude now and we still have power. Thank God! She is packing WIND and HEAVY RAIN like Floyd did. You stay SAFE up there! I can say that from first hand experience tonight.

Dwayne
Old 08-27-2011, 08:08 PM

Thanks Dwayne. We'll be fine. We've got the necessities. Bottled water, bread, and other non-perishable food items. In addition, we also have plenty of batteries and flashlights should we lose power. It's flickered a couple times, but so far we haven't lost it. The rain started here around 2 or 3:00 pm this afternoon.

In addition, we also have a portable wi-fi hot spot, so we can get on the Internet in case we do lose power.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:42 PM
Administrator

When we were ravaged by an EF-5 tornado in April I was elated to have my trusty iPad with 3G. Cellular coverage was restored first in our area, and the iPad gave me a link to the world. It took several more days to restore electricity and our usual broadband internet coverage.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:35 AM

Hi everyone.

Just as an FYI, our family is fine. We were without power for about 12 hours, mainly during the overnight hours. Lots of branches down in backyards in my development. I haven't gone out on the roads yet to see how bad they are, but we'll see what happens.

All in all, my hats off to the local power company, as we got power back a lot sooner than I thought we would!. Our power was restored around noon today.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:25 PM
Administrator

I'm happy to hear you and your family are okay.

In general I think most local utilities do an outstanding job. It is also a dangerous and grueling job when recovering the power system from widespread damage. Too many people like to blame the utility workers when the lights don't immediately come back on after a storm, when in fact those people have no idea what is involved in getting things restored.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:29 PM

Unhappy
Heres a report from Central Maine as of 2:20pm DST. Location approx 30 miles north of Portland Maine. We started with rain in the overnight hours; 12-1:00am. Tropical deluge of rain and winds battering us like crazy...Still have power at this point but for how long? My rain gauge needs to be emptied as it is at the 5 inch level and we still have a time to go.
We spend Friday and Sat at our camper at our summer retreat at Sebago lake and secured all things necessary and then came home to do the same here. I thinking if things keep going as they are, we will be lucky.. I have the generator ready to go and keeping an eye on a stream not far from my home. I hopeing that everyone that has been in Irene's path has been safe and that no harm has been incurred. OMG as I am typing it is as bright as it has been since Sat pm??

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 08-28-2011, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the report Peter, and I'm glad you have ridden out the storm successfully. It is fast moving now. Satellite images show most of it is already in Canada.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:31 PM

Yeah, I saw on the news that the storm for the most part doubled in speed since I went to bed last night. I think last night according to the news it was moving around 14 mph, and now I think the last report was something like 26 mph. Not sure how fast it was moving when it went through my area (Princeton, NJ). The weather guy on TV said he'd like to see it increase in speed, because that means less rain.

Tags
2011, 30, august, blizzard, cruise, england, generators, pictures, powered, radar, reviews, snow, tornado, vbulletin, weather, wind