Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2011, 05:13 AM

Smile
"Good Night Irene", some will remember that one ?
Yes, it did pick up steam as it passed West of Maine and up into Canada early this am having doing much less in damage up here than predicted. WE had over 200K households without power late yesterday and the crews will be really busy for the next few days restoring power. I had the generator ready to fire up but we were some of the lucky ones that did not need them. Many friends and relatives are and will be without for a days.
Down at the Lake according to one hearty lady who opted to stay alone in our area and ride out the storm witnessed "Mother Nature" in a fury. She had never seen the Lake as rough as it was since she had been there and when the winds are out of the South with a small gale the Lake can quickly become a demon as waves are pushed approx 18 miles up to our end of the Lake. The docking system (quite large) is in rubble on the beach and one of three boats that stayed on the moorings broke loose and ended up on the beach swamped but appears it missed the large rocks in the process. All in All, a day of cleanup here at home with lots of leaves, branches, ect to cut and clean up. Will be heading back to Lake on Friday and do clean up there.
Hope all of you did as well.

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 08-29-2011, 09:57 AM

I'm glad to hear most is well, Peterl. Just be careful when at the lake. I'm sure loads of critters, including snakes, will be aggrevated by the storm. I'm also extremely happy to hear you didn't lose power!
Old 08-29-2011, 01:04 PM

Consider this. with all the rain and wind during Irene
The Old Guards still marched In Arlington at the Tomb of the unknown.
I salute them. Makes one proud.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:09 PM

Default Proud of the Old Guard as well!
Living near DC we just took the boys to see the changing of the guard, but I did not know they did so even during severe weather! My hats off to them and a hearty salute as well. Thanks for honoring the men/women who fought bravely for our freedom regardless of the weather.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:29 AM

Question
Totally agree with you all on the Guards. I had seen an email a while ago that explained the guards, oath taken, preping for duty, and the meaning behind everything they do. Wish I could have found that to attach for anyone interested in reading. Perhaps someone out there could post as a new thread if they have it.

Peterl

Old 09-06-2011, 10:53 PM

Exclamation
The remnants of Lee are packing a ton of rain. I was driving back from the lake today in SC and it was like a deluge. You could barely see the road. I hope everyone stays safe with the possible flooding. Especially in the North East States that are already saturated with Irene. I wish Lee would have dumped this rain on Texas to put out the fires.

Dwayne

Tags
2011, 30, august, blizzard, cruise, england, generators, pictures, powered, radar, reviews, snow, tornado, vbulletin, weather, wind