Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Lido Deck (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/lido-deck/)
-   -   Canadian conversion to US dollar. (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/lido-deck/18973-canadian-conversion-us-dollar.html)

gdjoslin 10-29-2008 07:43 PM

We are looking at booking a room in Vancouver (yea for a cruise!!). If the room cost $250. CSD, what should it be in USD. we will get a quote the price seems way off to me. I will not post my answer as I want someone else to do the math.
Thanks
gary

LHT28 10-29-2008 08:29 PM

It will depend on the bank rate & day they post it to your CC
Today it would be about $199- $206 USD

They do not use the interbank rate but they add 1-2 % for the exchange

www.oanda.com/convert/classic

penny3333 10-30-2008 07:39 AM

I can remember when it was almost 2-1 in Canada. Thank you for that website Lyn.

gdjoslin 11-02-2008 06:27 PM

When I convert I get something in the $200.00 range. My wife was dealing with a hotel that was telling her it would be $320 USD. I told her to find a different place to stay.

LHT28 11-02-2008 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by gdjoslin:
When I convert I get something in the $200.00 range. My wife was dealing with a hotel that was telling her it would be $320 USD. I told her to find a different place to stay.
If the room is $250 CAD then it should be around $210. USD using Friday's rate & 2% interbank rate

Just get some Canadian $ from your bank or an ATM when you arrive and pay cash at the hotel

penny3333 11-03-2008 09:49 AM

I hope that's not a typical hotel room rate in Vancouver. Did you check with the cruise line to see if their rates were less expensive?

LHT28 11-03-2008 10:02 AM

There is probably cheaper room in YVR but it depends on the season.
I like to check www.Kayak.com & www.venere.com the read reviews on trip advisor

gdjoslin 11-03-2008 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by penny3333:
I hope that's not a typical hotel room rate in Vancouver. Did you check with the cruise line to see if their rates were less expensive?
Penny the rate is great, I am just concerned about the conversion.
The rate is for a two room suite, breakfast for four, parking for our car for the week we are on the cruise, and shuttle too the ship....My wife thinks she has the conversion worked out with them.
thanks

LHT28 11-03-2008 08:10 PM

[quote]Originally posted by gdjoslin:
Quote:

The rate is for a two room suite, breakfast for four, parking for our car for the week we are on the cruise, and shuttle too the ship....My wife thinks she has the conversion worked out with them.
thanks
I guess I must have missed something

Why not just pay in CAD or put it on your CC & let them do the conversion.
When we travel to the USA we do not pay in CAD for a US hotel.

gdjoslin 11-05-2008 08:33 AM

Lyn, my wife did not ask for a conversion. We were find letting the CC be charged in Canadian. The person giving the quote has a screen in front of them with the rates and a conversion box for the US or whereever. The person told my wife BTW that will be "X" in US dollars. My wife asked her if she was sure and the person repeated the quote.
My wife tried another place. When she was givng the Candian amount the person did not convert it, so my wife asked. It was the same amount.
What happen was this. the places my wife called were using the same type of sofware for the booking, I guess they are under the same umbrella of service. The software was converting it wrong. That would not have mattered because it is up to the CC and others to do the conversion. It just get off an alarm when the amount she was quoted was so high.