Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2010, 03:21 PM
Bite your tongue!
Old 09-10-2010, 03:25 PM

i didnt mean to be political. sorry
Old 09-10-2010, 03:36 PM

I have done many job I did not care to do. I picked fruit and worked the fields as a teenager. Worked in canneries while I was in college. Today, semi retired I grab a weedeater and clear fields for fire control. It is not great work but it brings in extra money. I have never not had a job when I wanted one.
I think people should get unemployment, they paid into it. They also need to get out and look for work. If they are unwilling to do that, then we have plenty of little and fire clearance that needs to be done.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:46 PM
Administrator

My closest girlfriend lost her managerial position three years ago when her company was sold, and is still unemployed. It's not for lack of trying. She has several recruiters looking for her, and has gone on many interviews, yet it's a highly competitive market as jobs that used to be there are no longer. She's been getting along by doing administrative temp work...when she can find it. At times, she's even taken part-time, minimum wage jobs. Even though she has a good work ethic, her self-worth has taken a major hit.

But, enough of that, as I am on the edge of breaking forum rules.

Back to Rick's point on other people messing with others' bins, we have a similar issue in our neighborhood. There are strict rules as to when one can put out food trash. Often, it means that people would have to put out their trash after their workday had begun. So... some simply discard it in a neighbor's trash can several hours before the earliest stated time, putting the lucky selected neighbor in a tough situation. Is s/he supposed to then move it somewhere else? Stay glued to the window all morning and catch the person in action? Or just pay the fine? (We live just outside the boundary, but if it were me, I'd be installing a camera...)
Old 09-10-2010, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Speaking of working (segue away from the bad topic, Dave)...this coming Monday I'll be working 70 miles from home for 5 to 6 weeks as I train skilled and unskilled craft workers to work at the nuclear power plant I retired from. I work as a contractor doing this a few weeks each year. It has it's burden. Too far for me to drive back and forth every day (given the work hours, and it is just a pain of a drive). So I'll stay in a hotel during the week and be home on weekends. But, it is how I pay for our cruises so I do it. I do appreciate the job though, and I am sure there are lots of people out there who would do it for a lot less than what I get paid.

The job also gives me the ability to gauge the job market and economy, since the people I train come from all over. Last spring I had millwrights I trained who were from Michigan. They came all the way to Alabama for a little over a month's work. That said something to me. They didn't want to be here but they had no choice.

We still have trash pickup in the county like it "always". Everything goes into trash bags, no segregation, and a real garbage truck picks it up. We pay around $15 a month.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:22 PM

We live in a rural area. the county does not require that you have a service haul your trash away. Many people let it pile up. I have never understood why people let their trash pile up. It is usually the same people who collect cars, and other unsightly things. The neighbor across and down the street from us could be featured on "Hoarders Buried alive". What gets me there are County code to stop this, and they are not enforced.

My wife is a retired teacher. She has been in the sub pool for 6 years. She was at the top of the pool, and got called first for jobs. Then last year they laid off 5 Teachers. The laid off Teachers when to the top, this year 4 more were laid off. She still gets called but not very often.
Thing is we can live with what we have. Many of the laid off Teachers still have big bills. Living of Sub money is not very good.

Tags
jobs, posting