Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2010, 06:56 AM

Glad to see the government had finally created some new jobs for the unemployed.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech...government-stimulus/
Old 09-10-2010, 07:34 AM
Administrator

As early as 1975, back in my home county of Columbia County, NY, they had hired a friend of mine as "Solid Waste Deputy Sheriff".

Although he was a sworn police officer his primary duty was to wander the county looking for trash people had tossed along roadsides, in the woods, etc., and try to find out who did it.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:36 AM

If it weren't for the "green machine" in the pic, one would think it were a drug raid, not a rubbish raid. LOL

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 09-10-2010, 09:59 AM
Am I understanding this correctly? You can be fined $100 for not having enough in your recycle bin? Who decides how much is enough? What if somebody steals from your bin to fill their own? This is nuts!!

I can understand Dave's Solid Waste Deputy Sheriff friend. I live on a busy street and people are always tossing old mattresses and sofas by my trash on trash day--and I'm always having to explain that the stuff itn't mine to avoid fines.

But weighing your recyclables? Whoa!
Old 09-10-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave:
As early as 1975, back in my home county of Columbia County, NY, they had hired a friend of mine as "Solid Waste Deputy Sheriff".

Although he was a sworn police officer his primary duty was to wander the county looking for trash people had tossed along roadsides, in the woods, etc., and try to find out who did it.

I might offend a few here, but that is just me. I wish we would put some of the "CHRONIC UNEMPLOYED" and I say Chronic, to work picking up papers, cleaning streets, and whatever else needs to be done. It would solve a few problems.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:02 AM
No offence at all; I think it's a great idea.

I remember a time (before Caltrans) when jail work crews kept the freeways clean.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:23 AM
Administrator

We use county prisoners here in Alabama for cleaning the sides of the roads.

There is also a group of retired people who do it for minimum wage working for some local agency. They get a kick out of people who think they are also prisoners.

Funny letter to the editor about the volunteers once - asking why the sheriff was putting all his older prisoners out on the road crews and leaving the younger ones in their cells.

As for my old high school chum the "trash deputy"...he arrested people all the time because they'd leave a paper trail in the trash with old mail, receipts, etc.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:29 PM

dont mean to offend anyone either, but as long as congress keeps extending the unemployment benefits there is no incentive for the unemployed to look for a job.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Remember...no political discussions.

Too often, it isn't that a person can't find "work". It just isn't what they want to do so they cling to unemployment checks.

I retired from TVA as a middle-management type, from a technical department where I dealt with difficult tasks and everyone had educations and high level skill sets. But if had I'd been laid off I'd take a job at McDonald's before I'd sit around just drawing unemployment and thinking I'm too good to flip burgers or dig ditches. There is a lack of worth ethic in too many people these days.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:51 PM

Maybe they should issue another stimulus package.

Tags
jobs, posting