Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 09:03 AM

There a couple of free tools that are pretty good getting rid of that fake anti-virus stuff, combofix and malwarebytes. I usually go into a command line and take out the directories manually, then go into the registry and delete out their entries. However, combofix will clean out the registry, too.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:29 AM

I have not heard of combofix. i downloaded it and tried to install it. It says it is for 32bit only.

I have used CCleaner and it does a good job for me. I love Malwarebytes. There are a lot of really good FREE tools out there.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:06 PM

I forgot you were 64bit Gary, sorry. It's a great little tool. I'd really love to meet the person that wrote that fake anti-virus junk, what a thorn in my side he/she/they have been!
Old 03-06-2010, 01:30 AM

Quote:
I'd really love to meet the person that wrote that fake anti-virus junk, what a thorn in my side he/she/they have been!
I would too. I'm not so sure they'd like meeting me though.

Thanks for the links, Gary. I have 3 machines, 2 desktops, and 1 laptop all on Vista now. Thanks Penny too. That fake antivirus junk popped up on 2 of my machines a few weeks ago. I had to go to safe mode to even do a system restore on one of them. I don't know how to fix the registry manually. It even disabled the real antivurus program I have.

The Windows Vista update recently is what I think messed up the network connection settings. All of these machines have Vista that came with them, so I have no way (that I know of) to go back to XP, and I can't afford 7 at the present, as it is cruise deposit time. I guess my budget priorities are a little weird.

Dwayne
Old 03-06-2010, 08:30 AM

I just hate it when an update messes up your machine...not much of an update.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:47 PM

Dwayne, you have your priorities correctly set! You can manually change your network settings, by going to Start, Network, Manage Network Settings, right click on your Local Area Connection, and go to Properties. You can either enter a static ip address or use DHCP, whichever your ISP uses. Or, you can try, just on one computer, deleting your network adapter, rebooting and letting windows reinstall the driver for your network adapter. Or, you could just do a system restore to a prior date from the updates. Or, you could try to remove the update, which should show up in your program listing (Start, Control Panel, Programs, Uninstall a Program).
Old 03-09-2010, 11:05 AM

I went back to a local community college to take a few courses to advance my gnawlege (sic). They let me check out a copy of 7 so that I could load it on my existing systems for free. Gotta love that. Of course, high tuition would seem to be paying for it. I also bought the full professional version of Office 2007 for $59... Still trying to implement Access into my life. Kinda quirky.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:50 AM

Anyone else out their unlucky enough to use Bit Defender on a 64bit machine? They have really messed up my computer. I have been able to get mine going, to a degree. I will probably just re install everything. Not a happy camper here.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Anyone else out their unlucky enough to use Bit Defender on a 64bit machine?
No, but I had to do a complete system recovery and re-install everything a few weeks ago; NO FUN!
Old 03-22-2010, 06:42 PM

Bit defender put about 50,000 files into quarantine. I have not been able to get everything going. I do back up on a regular basis, but there are a few files from my business that were not back up last week. I need those.
All my images and back information is on another drive, so I am good there.
I am not happy with Bit Defender, I am surprised they did not email all of us with an apology. I really do not want money or a free year. Just think they should take the time to explain to us what really happen.
As for myself. I am running a different program for now. Will probably re do everything next week.
Hey Rick maybe I will get you up here to help me.

Tags
access, computer, cruise, dial, discontinued, exchanging, geeks, pictures, roadrunner, router, time