Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2010, 07:50 PM
I'm not sure I'm the man you want; it took me almost a week and countless hours on the phone with "The Geek Guys" from Best Buy and HP Tech Support.

My son told me, "don't worry dad; the first ones the hardest." You mean I have this to look forward to periodically?
Old 03-22-2010, 08:26 PM

I have done it a few times. The process does not bother me. My only problem is making sure I lose any files. Seems like I always leave something behind. Leaving something behind is the main reason I installed a second drive I use it to back up everything I can. With that said I always lose a short cut key to a special site I have found. I copy my desktop folder, but still manage to forget something.
I will spend a few days making notes then go for it. I also take notes when I do the system recovery, and re install stuff. I have MS Office 2003. I have reinstalled it a few times. Last time I had to call and explain why I had installed it so many times. We lost another program that would not let us install again. It is stuff like that, that scares me.
My son alway tell me he knows nothing, he uses a Mac. Plus where he works they take care of his gear for him. If something is wrong with his laptop they fix it fast. No down time allowed.
I really do not understan how this computer is running. I tried to do a startup/system repair. It told me it could not do it because there was no OS present Okay so how is it running?

Old 03-24-2010, 09:35 PM

Sorry to hear about all this ***********. I know it is all heck trying to get a system back after a virus or something, as I've been through it several times as well.

I finally bought a used mini. It is supposed to have XP and it matches my Compaq laptop. I'll see when it arrives. I wanted something more light weight for traveling to check emails etc. with wifi.

Dwayne
Old 03-25-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by IslandCruz:
Sorry to hear about all this ***********. I know it is all heck trying to get a system back after a virus or something, as I've been through it several times as well.

I finally bought a used mini. It is supposed to have XP and it matches my Compaq laptop. I'll see when it arrives. I wanted something more light weight for traveling to check emails etc. with wifi.

Dwayne
We have really thought about getting one of those. I lug our big 15" laptop. I like to work on my images now and then so I am afraid that the mini wouldn't be able to handle it. The big laptop fits in my photo backpack. When we get on-board, or as is the case this summer to our condo, it just stays in the room/cabin.

Bit Defender really messed up. It is bad enough when you get a virus, but when your protection sends out the wrong code and messes you up I was about ready to renew, but now not sure. The product has been good for the 4 years that I have used it.Do I hold this one BIG mistake against them? They have to earn my trust back.
Bit Defender is giving everyone who request it an extension of 6 months on their protection. That is nice, but I just do not have a warm fuzzy feeling right now.

Good luck with your new toy, and please let us know how you like it.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:56 PM

The "thing" I got on my computer went right past both MS security and the CA Security I have. What a mess it was to get rid of. I know what you mean about the 15" laptops, I have a 15.6" and it is much heavier than I thought it would be. I figure I can put the Compaq Mini in my backpack easier as it is suppose to only weigh less than 3 lbs. Granted it doesn't have a CD/DVD drive, but has a good size HD and would be great for trips. I hope.

"I think" this is the model I got. I ordered it from Cowboom.com which handles a lot of the returns to Best Buy. I could have got an Acer for a little less, but I thought it was neat that it matched the Presario Laptop. It has 3 USB's and a 5 in 1 digital reader which would be handy for storing photos from the camera. It's coming from Ontario, Ca. When it finally gets here I'll let you know how it does.

Dwayne
Old 03-27-2010, 01:12 PM

Looks like a nice laptop. I am sure you will enjoy it.

Different forums are talking about The Bit Defender mess up. While Bit Defender is offering some a 6 months extension (That is about $5.00 to $7.00), many are comparing it to the cheating spouse. Do you let it back in the house or not? Can you learn to trust it again?

Old 03-28-2010, 10:37 PM

Well, I don't know a lot about it. I have major issues with trusting CA again to warn me of a threat. A spouse that cheats usually has a propensity to do it again has been my experience. I'd keep a close eye on it and see.

Turned off the Vista Updates on the DT and have not had any problems since. I have SP1 that came installed. Can't wait to get 7, or a 7 machine.

Dwayne
Old 03-29-2010, 02:46 PM

Well I told Bit Defender they were a little short with their offer. I said 3 years 3 computers of their complete internet security sounded better. Today I got an email and they agreed. So now I will keep them and hope I can trust them.
I have our 7 desktop running again. I am really think about upgrading the Vista 64 machine to 7. I have to redo everything anyway.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:01 PM
my computer must have more cookies than Nabisco, because every page I link to has an ad for a cruise line on it somewhere!
Either they're the only ones who have advertising money, or someone has my cyber-number!
Marsha

~
~ ~
____/7__/7__/7__________
\ :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: /
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Antigua Travel Deals & Special Offers
Old 03-29-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
my computer must have more cookies than Nabisco, because every page I link to has an ad for a cruise line on it somewhere!
Either they're the only ones who have advertising money, or someone has my cyber-number!
Marsha

Mine too!

Dwayne

Tags
access, computer, cruise, dial, discontinued, exchanging, geeks, pictures, roadrunner, router, time