Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Looks like a nice laptop. I am sure you will enjoy it.
Thanks! I got it yesterday and can't believe how small and lightweight it is. It actually has more hard drive capacity than the Dell from Heck. It has been like coming back home for me using XP SP3 on it. WiFi was easy to connect to. I just entered the security key and Voila!

As far as speed, it is blowing the Compaq Presario 15.6" Vista laptop out of the water! It is amazing these little Netbooks can do so much compared to the huge systems from the past.

Dwayne
Old 03-31-2010, 09:11 AM

Sounds like a nice set up. I am sure you will enjoy it.
My Son has a small one. Not sure what kind, his company supplies it. He always has it with him. Seems like he is never off the clock !! He really likes it. It is strong enough to do what he needs to do.
Enjoy your new toy.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:20 PM

Thanks! One thing it didn't have that I would have liked is a phone jack/modem. I use dial up down at my parent's lake house. I confused the RJ45 with the phone jack. The documentation says it is for an Ethernet connection, and not to use it to connect to a phone jack. Oh well, other than than that I am really satisfied with it. Though it didn't come with an optical drive, it says I can use one from another computer by setting up a network. I don't know how to do that or have needed it yet. The keyboard is really decent for it's size. However I did plug a USB keyboard into it while setting it up to make it easier.

It apparently was returned to Best Buy for some reason. It came with everything except the HP software and the soft material thing to place on the keyboard when you shut the lid. It is suppose to be Bluetooth capable to connect to a cell phone for the internet. I haven't figured that out either yet. All in all a great little machine for the price I paid.

Dwayne
Old 03-31-2010, 08:43 PM

You can get a usb modem.If have no name computer store around you can probably pick one up cheaper.
CD/DVD drives are not needed, you can do most things with a small usb drive.
You will soon get used to it.. Have fun.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:59 PM

Oh Wow! That is exactly what I need. Thanks a ton!

Dwayne
Old 04-16-2010, 08:34 PM

Just wasted an hour trying to figure out why Time Warner's RoadRunner Dial Access didn't work at the lake a few weeks ago on the Presario. It worked fine last November. Come to find out they discontinued the service November 30, 2009.

So I downloaded a free dial up service (ad window) from Netzero to use there. It wouldn't connect either. I'll try again to find something to use for dial up down there. I did get 2 bars from an unsecured wifi signal, but then when I tried to connect it said it was out of range.

Dwayne
Old 06-04-2010, 01:18 AM

Quote:
I have used CCleaner and it does a good job for me. I love Malwarebytes. There are a lot of really good FREE tools out there.
Penny and Gary, I want to thank you both for mentioning and recommending Malwarebytes. I installed it tonight...and Lawdy!

It detected 139 objects infected and 3 of those were Trojans! I had ran the CA Security and it came back clean. This speaks a lot about my slack butt security software. I can't believe all of this got by it.

Dwayne
Old 06-04-2010, 11:08 AM

That's great, Dwayne. It's not that CA is bad, it's that these little creatures with way, way, way too much time on their hands, write things that normal virus protection won't detect. I like Malwarebytes, though, it finds and cleans a lot of things. ComboFix is great, but it doesn't work on Windows 7, and Vista is only so/so.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:39 PM

Just installed it on the Dell from **** Vista desktop, it took 29 minutes to complete the scan and found 155 objects. I put it on the Compaq Mini "XP" this morning and it was clear. Three down and one more to go as I haven't put it on the Compaq Presario notebook yet.

Dwayne
Old 06-06-2010, 09:36 AM

Glad it is working for you. It is such a good tool, I am surprised it is free.

Tags
access, computer, cruise, dial, discontinued, exchanging, geeks, pictures, roadrunner, router, time