Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2010, 09:26 PM

Since Santa didn't bring me a Windows 7 Family Pack last year, I decided to give him a little help this time. I ordered it from the Microsoft Store and they included a Cisco wireless "hot spot" router for free which I needed as I pay Time Warner $10 extra a month for the wireless cable modem.

Now when it gets here I'm sure the "fun" will begin! I don't know what to do first; install 7 or the new router. I guess I need to take the old cable modem with the antenna to the cable office to exchange for a regular one first and then install the new router?

I wonder if they are going to want the Linksys USB Network Adapter back. I've paid enough over the last 3 years to have bought 30 of them. It's the little thingy with an antenna that plugs into my second desktop so I don't have to run an Ethernet line - I think. I'm sure they keep track of what equipment you have of theirs and will want it back.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:48 AM

Dwayne- Install the router first. The Win 7 install will configure your network settings when it installs and you will want it to do that based on your network as you will have it be. I am sure it would be able to redo it if you changed it after installing Win 7 but I am a firm believer in changing only one thing at a time. So when you have an issue you can undo it if you have to. In fact if you can call the cable company and verify you can return the router to avoid the charges, yo may want to ask them if you have to notify them when changing to the Cisco router (sometimes the link the MAC address of the computer to the connection and you can avoid hassles by writing down the MAC address of the old router and using the Cisco router's "Clone MAC address" feature to make the swap transparent... I doubt you would have to as this is not typically done anymore but you never know.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 12-03-2010, 10:09 AM

I agree with Jim, however, I would write down all my configuration settings, just because I'm always afraid something won't work
Old 12-03-2010, 10:53 AM
Administrator

It's funny, I do the same thing. I have a yellow sticky with all my configuration junk written on it.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:12 PM

I took the old wireless cable modem to Time Warner and exchanged it for a regular one today (savings $10 per mo). Hooking up the new Cisco Valet wireless router was a snap. It came with a USB plug-in that starts your computer installation. The only problem I had was it gave me 2 wireless systems. One Secured, and one Unsecured for Guests. Really neat if you have a lot of guests. Living in a condo I didn't want the neighbors being guests on my system.

I called Cisco and they explained the Guest system still requires a simple pass word like hotels etc use. So I still decided to just have the secured one that needs the key code. I have it all tweaked now.

I took the Linksys USB Network Adapter (antenna thingy) that the cable company had supplied for my additional desktop with me just in case they wanted it back. I left it in the car and they didn't mention it and adjusted my billing. So that was good that I didn't have to give it back and buy a new one or run a long Ethernet cable.

Decided to delay installing 7 until after the Holidays, as I'm too busy now to get all the computers ready.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:18 PM

I must have been really good this year, or Santa took pity on me. This evening arrived a HDTV Flat Panel TV via UPS (also known as Santa's sleigh).

It's hooked up to the cable and looks amazing. Problem is my VCR and DVD players do not have HDMI plugs. They sent an A/V cable that I can use for one of them as the TV only has one set of A/V inputs. Question is; Do the make a cable that is A/V on one end and HDMI on the other? I didn't see any in Wally World. Thanks.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:30 PM
I don't think so Dwayne; all the HDMI cables I've seen are the same at both ends. Are you sure the TV only has one set of inputs? Have you looked on the side near the front? I can't imagine a TV with only one input with all the devices people hook up today.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:31 AM

It has 2 HDMI and only 1 Component input. Thinking Santa got this on sale.

I think the DVD has an "S" output that may work. I am really thankful for such a surprise gift, and ain't met a rabbit I can't tame yet. I'll find a way.

BTW, Rick, Merry Christmas to you and Vita!
Old 12-24-2010, 12:51 AM

OMG! Rick thank you so much! I just found it on the side just like you said!

I was going by the the spec docs and hook up instructions they sent with it. I sure didn't want to buy a new DVD with an HDMI output!

Thank you a ton, and Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-2010, 09:39 AM

Dwayne, HDMI is a digital signal and the composite video is ****og, so no you can't have a HDMI to A/V cable.. not compatible signals.

Sounds like you have it solved for now, but I tell you that you want to go by a Blue Ray disc player. They are so much better on a HD tv than regular DVDs. The blue ray discs are better than the HD content you can get on your statellite or cable.. they output in true HD format. They will still play (and up convert) the standard DVDs so you won't be trashing your current collection. The Blue Ray will have an HDMI output. And don't buy those cable (HDMI) at the local stores, they want a fortune for them. I go to a website where you can get them for $3 a piece or so versus the $60 they get at Best Buy. Google for cheap HDMI cables and you will find them, or PM me and I will get you the website name if you can't find it.

Like I said the HDMI is a digital signal, no matter what they plate the connector ends with (gold or platinum or tin) the signal transfer would be any different so don't let Monster cable tell you otherwise... (And that's an electrical engineer with a quarter century of experience telling you that)
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013

Tags
access, computer, cruise, dial, discontinued, exchanging, geeks, pictures, roadrunner, router, time