Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2008, 07:39 AM

Speaking of lucky, Mr. Buzzy... you are only a little over a fortnight away from your own cruise. Both of you are lucky. I still have 46 days until my next voyage.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:03 PM
Doc- Thanks for the happy thought - I did a quick overnighter on the NCL Spirit about three weeks ago so I scrubbed the land moss off the bottom of my feet and replanted seaweed! It may be drying out but it'll hold another few weeks! By the time Dwayne and I return from our respective voyages-You'll be gettin' ready to ship out!

Remember always-the best way to reduce the growth of land moss on the bottom of your feet is to gently and lovingly enjoy a bottle or two of really fine, vintage wine!!!(and..book another cruise!)

Bon Voyage and Bon Appetite'

BillyBuzzy
Old 10-26-2008, 10:31 AM
I'm not really one for red wines but when I was in China 3 years ago I bought a couple of bottles of a red wine called " Great Wall " that shows a picture of the great wall on the front of the label,all the other information is in Chinese writing except for a date on the cork seal 2004.09.22.
My question for anyone knowledgeable about wine is .....should this wine be drunk fairly soon or will it get better as it gets older ?
Old 10-26-2008, 11:49 AM
Administrator

I wasn't aware China had gotten into the wine business, but after reading Jack's post I did some googling and learned that China is making some good wine. Awards have been won, and expertise from non-Chinese winemakers has been used.

I don't think the Great Wall wine will improve much with aging though, and would just drink it whenever the occasion calls for a red.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:37 AM

Good question, Jack... China has been using grapes to make wine for over 4,500 years. It is reported that within the next 20 years, the Chinese market for wine will be the largest in the world. As far as the drinkability of the wine that you purchased, that is a complicated issue. As most Asian reds will mature in 2-5 years, yours should be at it's peak. The only drawbacks are what type of cork seals the bottle and if it has provided a solid seal. You also have to factor in if the bottle has been standing upright since it was bottled. And what type of temperature and humidity was the bottle subjected to prior to your purchase?
Old 10-28-2008, 05:01 AM
Doc,
I have a bottle of Cuvee Dom Perignon 1985, is it trash now because it has been upright since June 1996 ?

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 10-29-2008, 06:29 AM

Janfred, I would drink the wine at the next special occasion or family gathering. Sparkling wine holds up well in storage but not forever. Dom Perignon is a high quality, sturdy, sparkling wine so it can withstand aging better than most of its ilk. (That being said, I would have a bottle on standby just in case) I have found the the optimum temperature to store Dom is 56-59 degrees F. Of course, vertical is not the best position is which to store it. Your bottle of Dom has appreciated quite well (currently selling for $225-275) and I hope that the quality meets the expectations.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:14 AM

Dr. L, have you tried the Pierrier/Jolliet Champagne? I truly like it better than Dom. I'd like to try Crystal, just to see if it's better than Dom or PJ Floral, but they don't sell it by the glass
Old 10-30-2008, 06:39 AM

Penny, I assume that you are speaking of the Perrier Jouet Champagne. It is a remarkable blend of flavors with a great texture. Considering the alternatives, it is very affordable (most bottles being less than $40). On to your second question, I would not waste my money on Cristal. It was popularized by the "rap music" craze and is far overvalued. Cristal used to be readily available for around $75 and, after it was used by popular rap icons Notorious BIG and Puff Daddy, it surged to over $250 per bottle. To me, it is no different than Cordon Negro Brut with a high price tag and cellophane wrapping.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:27 AM

Who makes the Cordon Negro Brut? Yes, I was talking about the PJ Champagne. I don't drink much champagne, but I do like it. Thanks for filling me in on the Cristal, I won't worry about it unless it's offered for free on board sometime (sure).

Closed Thread

Tags
al, austrailian, birmingham, cruise, dom, perignon, reviews, sale, top, twist, white, wine