Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2008, 10:13 AM

Members of this forum represent a very diverse cross section of the world. Culture and demographics dictate that we all have varying choices in diet, both solid and liquid. I love wine and I love to share wine and wine knowledge with others. I am interested in what other people consider to be their favorite wines. It doesn't matter if you purchase your wine from a vintage dealer or simply purchase it at a local grocer, people's choices of wine fascinate me. I will tell you a couple of my favorites and I want you to give me some feedback on your own preferences.

White: I am a big fan of California whites. With the surge in the European and Australian white wine markets, the Californian grapes have sorta been put on the back burner. I have always been a fan of Conundrum wines and I still have to say that the 2003 vintage is still one of my favorites. It's a bold and crisp table wine that really pairs well with oysters and other shellfish. Bottles of this vintage should be available for approximately $30-40 (I know... kinda pricey for a wine with a screw-off top ).

Red: My tastes are all over the board on reds. Just about every region of the world has a 90+ point wine on the board right now. It really comes down to what type of grape you like. I am still a fan of the Carneros region of California with names like Schug and Acacia, but I would be lying if I didn't tout the flavor and quality of wines available around the world. One of my current favorites is a case that I have recently opened. It is an Australian 2001 Tapestry McLaren Vale Shiraz. I won't bore you with the subtle hints of flavor that make it delicious, but I will say that it makes it's presence known. Bottles of this vintage should be available for approximately $80 (you might be able to find it a little cheaper with a thorough internet search).
Old 10-07-2008, 10:47 AM

I'm really not into expensive wines. I like Glen Ellen Chardonnay, reds-maybe a Chianti-not really a red fan. Champagne-Perrier-Joliet.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:08 AM

Penny, good wines need not be expensive. As a matter of fact, when I purchased the Tapestry wine several years ago, it was less than $15 a bottle. Like me, it just got a little better with age. Enjoying wine doesn't have to be expensive. I like Glen Ellen... they have put out some exceptional wines. There are other wines like Lindemans and Penfolds that taste great but won't break the bank. The love of wine doesn't have to be an expensive hobby. It's just fun to enjoy the flavors that are inheritant to various growing regions. I am not one of those savor the bouquet, swish it around the mouth, spit it out snobs. Wine is meant to be enjoyed.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:55 PM

Doc, The Far Niente 2002 Chardonnay you sent me, is it still good? It has been "sideways" (no pun intended) and never above 80 degrees. I was planning on taking it for this cruise.

Thank you so much,

Dwayne
Old 10-07-2008, 03:19 PM

Dwayne, the wine is still good. Make sure that it is chilled prior to serving. It is a wonderful vintage and should prove to be a nice treat!
Go to this link to see how it fared in competition:
2002 Far Niente Chardonnay
Old 10-07-2008, 04:16 PM
Dwayne- I'll be glad to sample the 2002 Far Niente for you just to ensure it has remained palatable. None of your fellow cruisers on this forum want to see you suffering on your cruise! You are only 10 days out-don't risk it-!!!!!!!

Bon Voyage,

BillyBuzzy

Montserrat Villas
Old 10-08-2008, 01:25 PM

I've tried Kendall Jackson-yucko, I like the Rosemont Chardonnay-I think that's Austrailian. Turning Leaf is ok, but Glen Ellen for $8.99/big bottle, tastes just great to me. I've had Dom Perignon, Piper Heidsick, and Moet Chandon. Perrier-Joliet is my favorite, but the others are pretty good. I haven't had Cristol or whatever that expensive one is. Maybe one day. I sure don't like the stuff they serve at the captain's party-that's really yucky!
Old 10-09-2008, 02:57 AM

Thanks, Doc! I don't get treats like this very often, so I saved the Far Niente for this year, and have worried I didn't take care of it properly. I have done my best though with my limited wine storage abilities. I am going to make sure my palate is clear when I taste it.

Thank you so much again for your generosity. I am looking forward to this one.

Dwayne
Old 10-09-2008, 03:01 AM

Billy, I wish you were at my table too so I could share it with you.

Dwayne
Old 10-09-2008, 06:47 AM
Dwayne - I'm sure we'll get to pass the paper bag with a bottle of fine wine around eventually! The way things are getting-the cruise lines will probably impose wine glass rental fees if you order a wine package on your cruise!
Meanwhile- you are only 9 days out-How lucky can you get???

As Always-Bon Voyage,

BillyBuzzy

Montserrat Villas

Closed Thread

Tags
al, austrailian, birmingham, cruise, dom, perignon, reviews, sale, top, twist, white, wine