Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Lido Deck (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/lido-deck/)
-   -   Isn't This the Truth! (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/lido-deck/20651-isnt-truth.html)

digdmr 08-28-2007 02:03 PM

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE 1930s, 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored Lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took Hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING !

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms óWE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them! CONGRATULATIONS!

Doesn't this bring back a lot of good childhood memories? Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors! I love that I had the freedom of growing up when I did, I wouldn't change it for the world. In fact, I would go back to that time in a heartbeat.

Spiritfilled 08-29-2007 03:54 AM

Yes the children of the 80's, and 90's they have no clue what it is like to really enjoy life they don't rip and run like we use to my how things have changed.

wesnlin 08-29-2007 08:52 AM

It also sounds like a song that Bucky Covington(from american Idol) wrote Different World

CruiseDad 08-29-2007 10:32 AM

[quote]Originally posted by digdmr:
TO ALL THE KIDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE 1930s, 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s!

Wow http://cruise-chat.com/groupee_commo...icon_smile.gifWhat a great post. Reading it brought tears to my eyes. I was one that didn't make little league, I wish I could say I play Major league basball now but I don't. On the other hand I am a very sucessful father, and have had the same good job for 30 plus years. Didn't seem to hurt me any and I think did a bunch of good. Never do I think the world owes me anything. "I'm a great believer in luck and find the harder I work the more I have of it. Mark Twain [I think} or maybe Thomas Jefferson" Any way all those young lessons taught me to earn what I want and be creative and independant.
Thanks for bringing it all back. I've tried to instill those values in my 2 children I expect you have also.
CruiseDad: Born 1950

digdmr 08-29-2007 10:53 AM

Thanks, CruiseDad,

I felt it was worth sharing. It is sad to me that today's children will never know the pure joy of just being a kid with no boundaries. Today's world doesn't allow parents to feel safe letting their kids just be kids.

Svein 08-29-2007 12:04 PM

Hehe..enjoyable reading http://cruise-chat.com/groupee_commo...on_biggrin.gif

I was thinking the same about car safety the other day when my wife and I were out shopping a car seat for our forst son who we are expecting in october http://cruise-chat.com/groupee_commo...icon_smile.gif

Spending a couple of houndred dollars on the top model seat I was thinking of my own childhood in my parent's Volkswagen beetle where I spent the car rides standing on the floor between the to front seats.

And in about 4 years or so I'll probably have the following conversation with my son:

- Dad, can you tell a story from the old days?

- What do you mean, when grandma and grandpa were children during the war?

- No, I mean when you were biking without helmets!

drlivingston 08-29-2007 12:19 PM

When I was an 8-year old kid in central Alabama, me and a few of my friends would hop on slow moving freight trains and ride them to the next city. Then we would catch one later coming back. It was usually travelling faster and we had to jump and roll down the hill. One time, the train didn't slow down and we ended up having to get a local fire department to call our parents from a town over 80 miles away. I couldn't sit down for a week.

Chef Ken 08-29-2007 04:09 PM

I am assuming you did not fall on your a ss but instead, got what was coming to you. I rode a few myself at an early age. You might enjoy the movie, Emperor Of The North! Ernest Borgnine and Lee Marvin.

Svein, Congratulations for the expected child!

drlivingston 08-30-2007 07:40 AM

Wow!! Let me second Ken in saying congratulations, Svein!!

carlg 08-30-2007 07:46 AM

Svein, my congratulations too!!