Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2008, 01:43 PM

I pray none of our San Diego members were hurt by the F18 crash into the neighborhood there. If anyone knows any updates, please let us know. The report on the web was incomplete as details were evidently not readily available. They stated the pilot ejected and landed in a tree, I hope he was ok, too. They also stated that at least 1 home caught on fire. My prayers to all in San Diego.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:07 AM

Same here. They never told what happened to the second pilot on the news that I saw. I hope and pray everyone is alright with this tragedy. It is strange they would ditch in a residential area.

Dwayne
Old 12-09-2008, 07:46 AM

The report I saw this morning was horrible. They confirmed 3 deaths and one child missing. I guess he had no choice but to ditch. Someone they interviewed said it was engine failure.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:34 PM
Administrator

This is one of those things that just makes your eyes get teary and makes everyone feel helpless.

It was a Korean man's family - his wife, two children, and mother-in-law - who perished. The man doesn't blame the pilot for this. I am sure that brings some comfort to the pilot, but as someone who was in Marine Corps aviation I can tell you the pilot is just as distraught as the surviving family members. There are no words to make this better. All I know is that I feel terribly for both the family and the pilot (and his family).
Old 12-09-2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by IslandCruz:
Same here. They never told what happened to the second pilot on the news that I saw. I hope and pray everyone is alright with this tragedy. It is strange they would ditch in a residential area.

Dwayne
Not all F-18 are two seaters. My Nephew flys a single seater. Do not remember if that is an "C or F".
I can tell you the very last thing they want to do is eject. It is a very sad thing. Prayers to all.
Now we will have all the people complaining about the US Marine Air Station there. It has been there a lot longer than the houses. They have a great record also.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:27 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Now we will have all the people complaining about the US Marine Air Station there.
True. When most of these bases were built they were out in the boonies for a reason. Surburban crawl eventually engulfed them.

I have no doubt this pilot was desperately looking for an unpopulated area before he punched out. While a twin-engined airplane is nice, having both engines in the fuselage often means the failed engine will eventually cause damage to the operating engine - and then the airplane is on the verge of breaking up.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:46 AM

My prayers to both families as well. They built the bases and airports in the nation out in the middle of nowhere. The city officials approved the building of houses and the sprawl of the now surrounding neighborhoods.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:47 AM

I heard the Husband of one of the victims today. He sounds like a good guy. Not putting blame anywhere.
In Lemoore, Ca there is a NAS. The city is fighting developers who want to build in the flight path. In addition to being in the flight path the developer would have to raise the area about 2' because if is in the flood plane. Tell me who would want to live in a flight path that is located in a flood plane? Buil it and they will come.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:10 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Tell me who would want to live in a flight path that is located in a flood plane? Buil it and they will come.
Stupid is as stupid does. And don't you know if the houses are built the owners will start complaining about all the low flying airplanes and noise.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Tell me who would want to live in a flight path that is located in a flood plane? Buil it and they will come.
Well, I live in just that. It isn't military though. And I didn't know the planes could be so loud when I bought the place. They scare the crap out of me sometimes.

I saw the husband's news statement yesterday and it was truly heart wrenching.

My prayers are with all that are suffering from this tragedy.

Dwayne

Closed Thread