Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Beers:
Consumer Reports doesn't rate the Keurig very highly. They claim the coffee was weak. But most reviews I've read rave about it. There was one report on the Target site where the Keurig was less than a year old and one morning it smoked and fried itself.

Sparky - what is your experience? How old is your machine?
Ours is about a year old and we brew at least 5 cups a day in it between the two of us. It's my understanding that if you let them sit for too long with the "add water" light on then they can burn out. Easy enough to fix. As for weak coffee they make everything from light blend to extra bold blend and you can pretty much pick which blend works for you (they have sampler packs on greatcoffee so you can try each). The K-cups are sealed tighter than a Supply Officer's pocket and I've never had a freshness problem. I generally like my lifer juice with just cream and sugar, but I even like some of their flavored coffees as a change of pace. I'm not 100% sure but I am pretty sure that greatcoffee has a satisfaction guarentee so you can try the machine and return it. oh, I can't remember if I mentioned that we bought the least expensive model, no chrome and no clock but for $50 bucks savings I can do without either.

And they do make a filter attachment that you can buy that allows you to use your own coffee and still brew one cup at a time.

And I should mention I get the Breakfast Blend and run the K-cup twice on the smallest setting to fill my travel cup and it's potable enough for me (but my stomach can't handle the extra bold's like it used to).

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 12-11-2008, 02:31 PM
Administrator

I have no need for a coffee maker that looks like the dashboard of a 57 Cadillac either. I was looking at the coffee blends out there and figured if "regular" was too weak I'd just kick it up a notch.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
I think that was the Keurig Cheech and Chong model #420.
that made me laugh

they do have different blends, including some bold ones...these are what my office has....but keep in mind that "bold flavor" isnt the same as strength....a watered down cup of bold coffee is still a watered down cup of coffee...and im not saying its watered down - just weaker than i would like it....i just know i like the stuff made at home better

we actually have hot chocolate now...havent tried it yet, but someone said it was pretty good
Old 12-12-2008, 09:11 PM

Unfortunately I had to give up caffeine (Dr.'s Orders). I sure love the smell of fresh ground and brewed coffee though. I haven't found a de-caff substitute that comes close. If I could find a machine that makes a decent cup of de-caff tea it would be awesome. I miss our A&P store, I use to go down the coffee aisle just to smell the stuff.

Dwayne
Old 12-15-2008, 08:09 AM

my good friend Alton Brown (Good Eats) did a show on coffee, and went through a little demonstration showing why most decaf coffee isn't nearly as good as the regular stuff

the process of decaffeinating coffee is relatively expensive, and because companies want to charge about the same for decaf and regular, they need to use lower quality beans in their decaf brews....so, the solution is to seek out good quality decaf coffee, and grind/brew it at home yourself....ive never looked, but i bet you could do a little research and find the good stuff on the internet pretty easily
Old 12-15-2008, 01:54 PM

Thanks, Mike. I may have to invest in a coffee grinder, and do some research. I tried those one cup bags and they were terrible.

Dwayne

Closed Thread

Tags
coffee, keurig, ncl