Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2008, 02:00 PM
Administrator

I spent a few weekends in Trussville (not fun ones) a couple years ago when my wife was in the second phase of her accident recovery at Medical East. It seemed a rather quaint ville, certainly not a place prone to boozers staggering around before noon.

Our place had two pieces of notebook paper stuck on the doors at the entrance, with A-J on the right and K-Z on the left. But once inside there was only one line because the door into the actual polling area was so small. It is strange that for an area with literally dozens of sub-divisions within 3 miles they chose a small church with parking space for maybe 30 cars.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Svein, thank you for sharing your country's voting process with us. I still enjoy my Norway calendar, by the way. This month's photo is "Menali/Ringsaker/Hedmark."

The lines in my Massachusetts neighborhood were quite long this morning. I heard of 1- to 2-hour waits. I had an early morning meeting, anyway, so I went after work. I was in and out in 10 minutes. Paper ballots, by the way, which were then machine-scanned.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Paper ballots, by the way, which were then machine-scanned.
That is what we have, and I think it is perhaps the easiest and most reliable method. We have an incomplete arrow next to each choice with just the tip and the tail of the arrow printed. You complete the arrow by drawing a line to make it a solid arrow. Easy to understand and it works great.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:52 PM
Administrator

We had to fill in little ovals with a black marker (that they supplied). Still, it's better than last year, when we were still using voting machines with levers -- those things were older than I am, I believe.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
black marker
Us too. They gave each voter a Sharpie marker which was returned to them when you put your ballot in the counting machine.

It has been 20 years since we used voting machines down here. Those things are terrible. It is hard to see if you are voting for your choice, and then you wonder if it worked when you open the curtain and the lever allegedly counts your votes.

We don't want to get into specific candidates here, but I am happy to see such a large turnout. I wish it was this heavy for each election. People in the USA love to gripe about their officials but in most cases at least half or more of the complainers didn't vote!
Old 11-04-2008, 07:23 PM

I like the "arrow" ballots that you speak of, Dave. We still have the ovals. I hope FL doesn't have the arrow system. If the election is close (not very likely), local election officials in West Palm will be complaining about faulty ballots with dangling arrows.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:22 PM

Thanks, Svein.

I had it lucky compared to most. I walked in at 3:02pm and out at 3:06pm. I walked right up without anyone in line ahead of me. They said there was a line earlier in the morning though. We have the electronic touch screen machines. Our precinct is a small stretch of beach with not that many permanent residents.

My Mom and Dad had a long wait at their polling place though, it was between 2 and 3 hours.

Dwayne
Old 11-05-2008, 06:57 AM

"My deepest fears have become a reality"--My career Army father calling me at 0300cst this morning. Election day is over and we need to focus on the new regime. My post is already too political. Perhaps this thread should be closed before it atrophies into something that is unbecoming of the nature of our website.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:28 AM
Perhaps a good idea. I just wanted to wish everyone a happy election day, and even though it's no secret that most of us here in Europe are thrilled and extatic over the result, I must say I'm impressed by McCain's speech when his defeat was a reality. That showed a real statesman who put his country first.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 11-05-2008, 08:00 AM

Both the speeches were very eloquent. I think Florida is still trying to connect the arrows. Guess I shouldn't knock them, it's my home state. Hmmmm, I wonder if that's why I'm such a dingbat

Closed Thread