Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2008, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Beyond sports, I have some TV shows that I look forward to seeing. My current favorite is on the Travel Channel - "Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations". Actually I've watched it off and on over the years, but lately I've become almost addicted to it and am TiVo'ing every episode. I am just the opposite of Tony Bourdain on most issues, but it is a great program. Food, travel, and cultures. Very nice.

So what programs do you watch?
Old 12-03-2008, 06:00 PM

My range from the CSI way too many of them now, to the Military channel, I enjoy lots of the history shown there.

Sidebar here. Can you believe the ads telling people to remember to convert to digital? Someone has to be making money on that. The day after digital there will no doubt be an interview with someone who did not know it was going to happen.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:08 PM
Administrator

I think the annoying ads about digital TV have federal baggage, thus the endless rants.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:26 PM

We too like to watch "No Reservations", on the Travel Channel. I am surprised Anthony Bourdain is not jaundiced, with his pickled liver. We also enjoy "Bizarre Foods". I also record important ones for us. Currently, I often am watching the Hong Kong and Vietnam episodes of both. Trying to get some tips before we go. The shows are awesome for travel/food tips. We have also been watching "True Blood" on HBO, and "The Tudors" on Showtime, but both those seasons have ended. I personally watch a lot of Nat Geo, Discovery, Science and Military Channel (my faves are shows about any war) and Fox News. My husband and I don't watch the sitcoms on the networks, we have never got into them. I enjoy learning about the world via the tv. BTW-just watched on the Sci Channel "Killer Waves". Boy, was that scary There are some BIG waves out there. They said one container ship per week sinks. I had no idea!!! Lil' Lori

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 12-04-2008, 06:28 AM

Two and a Half Men is my favorite. I like Are you Smarter than a Fifth Grader, too. I enjoy the Travel Channel and the Food Network, but they have replaced some of my favorite shows with not so good ones. I liked the Dean boys better on Road Tasted, I miss Rachel Ray's $40/day and Tasty Travels, and I miss Emeril. He might have been a bit goofy, but I did get some great ideas from him. The Iron Chef amazes me, and once they get through the hokey stuff, the cooking is awe inspiring. My all time favorites are F1 racing, and MotoGP racing, but they are seasonal.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:10 AM

I used to watch Anthony Bourdain – I found his “attitude” fun to watch. But now I think he plays it up too much, and enjoys the fact that people think he is a “bad boy” too much. So now he bugs me – but I still occasionally watch the show.

I love Food Network – mostly Good Eats (Alton Brown). I love learning how to cook, and why/when to use certain techniques instead of just learning a few simple recipes. That show gives you a little bit of knowledge that can be applied to many aspects of cooking, and he keeps it interesting.

Other shows that I watch periodically, or rent the DVDs, are Lost, Scrubs, How I Met Your Mother, Family Guy and a few others.

I also just discovered two shows on a network that I never really paid much attention to – they are Cha$e (game show that involves running around a large area of city/forest/etc trying to avoid “hunters” while completing missions and collecting money) and Estate of Panic (fear based game show) on the Sci-Fi network. I’ve only seen a few episodes of each, but they were both different from other things you see on tv, and I think it would be fun to be a contestant on either (more so Cha$e than Estate)
Old 12-04-2008, 08:21 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Good Eats
I like that show too. A lot of foodies don't like Alton Brown for some reason, probably because he takes the mystery out of cooking techniques. I find him to be a great teacher. I like his motorcycle tour shows too, except when he did a flying endo and broke his arm.

I get a vicarious thrill out of Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives with Guy Fieri. They are now Rachel Ray'ing him though so I'll probably get fed up with seeing him. I like seeing all those diners and joints though. My kind of food.

I really don't watch much evening TV anymore. I will watch NCIS and The Unit.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:40 AM

I like Good Eats also. As an engineer, the scientist in me likes to know "why" things are done instead of just following a recipe. I enjoyed the series where he was yachting around the Caribbean islands and doing island food cooking. It combined good eats with cruising which was good for me!

Other shows- Heroes. And the new show called Time Warp on The Learning Channel.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 12-04-2008, 11:00 AM
Administrator

I just wiki'd Alton Brown. He has a drama degree from Georgia and was a cinematographer. He got tired of seeing bad cooking shows and decided to do his own (Good Eats), so he enrolled at New England Culinary Institute and paid close attention to the chemistry of cooking. And the rest is history. His film background explains a lot about the techniques and flow of his shows.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:04 PM

So you have a "Military Channel" ... what's the typical daily program menu ?

Here in Italy, the less you talk about Military stuff the better it is.
The Army is presentable just in case it's related to Civil Defence: then you can flip thru the TV channels and watch nothing but all those guys at work in the mud after inundations, earthquakes etc.
Otherwise, no way.

Some weeks ago I went with my 17 y.o. kid to a First World War celebration; there were some tanks and armoured vehicles, some helicopters and many other interesting equipment.
No ammunition, neither blank cartridges ... it should have looked too much like a Military event.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not an army addicted.
Look, I'm not sure I'd have voted the Second Amendment ... but I'm aware of the difference between USA 1791 and Italy 2008.

Yeah.
Italy 2008 has "buonismo" something like "good-ism" ...
You know ? "take away this ugly view from me, the world's made for barefoot walking on the grass ... " "criminals ? what criminals ? noooo, they are just social victims ..."

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, tv