Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2008, 11:01 AM

I have had the pleasure of seeing different parts of the USA. Oklahoma, Texas, Colorado, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Oregon, Washington, Hawaii, Alaska, Idaho, Kansas. On our recent vacation Virginia and North Carolina I have been thru a few other States, but never did any sight seeing. Our good old USA has a lot to offer. It does cost a little more to do a land vaction, but it is worth every penny. It is nice to meet people who talk different than we are used too. It nice to hear of the local flavor, and see the pride they have. What have you guys seen lately?

Old 08-10-2008, 11:01 AM

I have had the pleasure of seeing different parts of the USA. Oklahoma, Texas, Colorado, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Oregon, Washington, Hawaii, Alaska, Idaho, Kansas. On our recent vacation Virginia and North Carolina I have been thru a few other States, but never did any sight seeing. Our good old USA has a lot to offer. It does cost a little more to do a land vaction, but it is worth every penny. It is nice to meet people who talk different than we are used too. It nice to hear of the local flavor, and see the pride they have. What have you guys seen lately?

Old 08-10-2008, 11:14 AM
Administrator

The carrier brings back memories!

Great photos, Gary. You really have a good eye.

As far as places we've been lately, Alaska was it for us, but that says a lot. I miss the tidewater area of Virginia. I liked living there.

One day I will put aside doing a cruise and instead head to Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho. That area has always interested me.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:26 AM
There's a lot of the country we haven't seen, and it's been our dream that we get to travel the country in our retirement... Late September we are off on a week's road trip to explore northern Arizona and Navjoland. Believe it or not - - in my 30 years in Arizona, I've not yet visited the Grand Canyon, although we've seen most of the rest of the state. I've driven from New York State to college in Colorado, and then to Arizona - so I've seen parts of the mid-west from along the interstate. Not much, I know. Hopefully at sometime in the next 10 years, we be able to afford six months to "cruise" the USA.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:21 PM

Thanks Dave. That is the Ike aka USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN 69)., coming in from workups. She is coming into Norfolk. We really enjoy looking at the fleet. I enjoyed the Wisconsin. We have been able to see alot of the Country thanks to two things. Our Son being in the Navy, and Family reunions. My Dad was 1 of 15. There are a lot of us Cousins who like to get together!!

Susan we have friend who live in Prescott Valley. We try to make a touring trip each time we visit. We did the Grand Canyon a few years ago. A bunch of on Ruins last year. There is a lot to see in Arizona !!

Old 08-10-2008, 12:40 PM
Administrator

I was on the Nimitz and the Ike was our usual relief at the end of a 6-month deployment to the Med.

A friend of mine is a pilot for DHL. Earlier in his flying career he flew air tours in the Grand Canyon. He is an encyclopedia of knowledge about that place.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:38 PM

Great pictures, Gary. I would love to go out west someday. I recognize the lighthouse as the Old Cape Henry.

Dwayne
Old 08-10-2008, 09:12 PM
Administrator

Great photos, Gary!

We've been trying to see more of the States. About a year ago, we vacationed in Tucson, AZ. I had been there a short time earlier on business and loved it so much that I returned with the family. We did a lot of sightseeing...driving through the parks, Pima Air/Space Museum, U of Arizona, to name a few.

In the past few years, we've also been to Oconomowoc WI, coastal GA, Atlantic City, and day trips in New England. I do a fair amount of business travel and have most recently traveled to San Diego (just a couple of weeks ago, in fact), NYC (several times), Chicago, San Francisco, Scottsdale AZ, and Palm Springs. I try to get out whenever possible on these trips to see the surroundings, and there are several I'd love to visit again as a tourist.

When I was a kid, my family would take a two= to three-week car trip every summer. (Both parents were teachers.) I once kept count, and I think we were up to 28 states by the time I left for college.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:52 AM

Great pictures, as usual, thank you so very much! Latest trip was Mobile, I had been through on the interstate but never stayed there. Interesting city. We lived in Colorado for 12 years, and took in a lot of the tourist traps there. We went to the Crystal Cathedral Caverns in Alabama not too long ago. When I drove a tractor/trailer, I was fortunate to see every state and Alaska. In my early teens we went to Canada to see where my father was born. He came to the states when he was 14, so was a naturalized citizen. My mom was from Nashville, TN, there's a ton of things to do and see there, too. There are a lot of beautiful places in the states. A few of my favorites are: Key West, La Jolla, Carmel, Laguna Beach, Ft. Lauderdale, Sebastian Inlet, and Vegas.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:33 PM

Let's see... I live in Alabama but in the past year I have visited:Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin.
I can't really tell you anything about their individual histories and cultures but I can answer any question pertaining to which truck stops have the best food...

Closed Thread