Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2008, 08:30 AM

We plan on being in D.C. in late July or early August. Will be there for a good day. What should we see or do?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:40 AM

The Smithsonian will take up most of your time, but well worth it. The Vietnam Memorial, the Lincoln Center, the Washington Monument, the White House, the reflecting pond, lots to see and do. Take a cab to Georgetown, if you have time.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:32 AM

Thanks Penny. I know one day is rushing it... but that is all we have. The only place I know I am going to visit for sure is the Vietnam Memorial, I have a couple of friends that I have not seen in 39 years. We will probably spend most of our time in that area. Do they close the area at all? How early can we get there? I would love to beat the crowds and get a few sunrise photos.
Thanks
Gary

Old 03-31-2008, 10:56 AM

As far as I know they don't close it off, I don't see how they could. I spent quite a bit of time there. I also forgot, the Arlington cemetery. The Smithsonian is definitely one of my favorites. Make sure you don't have too much cash on you and that you remain aware of your surroundings. It's not a real safe area.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:08 AM

Gary, have you visited the interactive web site for the Vietnam Memorial? Most compelling to me is the statistic that the average age of the men and (8) women on the wall is 22.8 years.

The Memorial is open 24 hours a day, as it's in an open part of the Mall. Nearby are the Women's Memorial and the Korean War Memorial. Also very close is the Lincoln Memorial, which is just across the street.

Also very compelling is the section of the Smithsonian's Museum of American History that houses the collection of things folks left at the wall in its first few years. I've been to the wall many times, and have always seen very poignant items left by family and friends. Be sure to bring paper and pencil if you want to get a rubbing of the names of your friends.

Sandy
Old 04-03-2008, 02:39 PM

Thanks Sandy I have seen that site. Remember during the Vietnam War the draft was still in. That supplied a large group of High School Grads. I dodged the draft myself... Yea I joined the USMC at 17 never had to register for it.
Another forum had told me to watch out for my Camera gear at the Capital. It does not speak well for the National Capital to have so much crime.

Thanks again

Old 04-07-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
It does not speak well for the National Capital to have so much crime.
There is crime in DC, but it tends NOT to be in the tourist, Federal areas. There is a lot of security around these days, and a lot of other tourists all year 'round.

If you exercise the usual "street smarts" as you would in any other city, all should be well.

Sandy
Old 04-07-2008, 11:23 AM

Some people may be unsettled to see the homeless in the D.C. area. Just wanted to make you aware of that too.

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruises, dc, review, reviews, washington