Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2008, 10:38 AM
This thread would be suitable for the NCL-section as well, but I post it here since it's not valuable for anyone wanting to take a cruise.

I live south of Oslo, Norway and work for the Norwegian Coastal administration. In this position, I have the opportunity to join the pilots when they take ships in and out.

Last Monday we had the Norwegian Jewel visiting Oslo, and she was under command of a former dear colleague of mine. I was aware of this and announced my arrival to the good ship. It was a wonderful brief reunion with NCL. As I walked the gangway I could smell the atmosphere from the ship, and it seemed like yesterday I left NCL.

On the bridge I met the captain and staff captain ready to take her out of the port and into the fjord and further down the road - Dover UK.

The pilotage took 3,5 hrs and I was in heaven the whole time. The captain organized a steak dinner from Cagney's delievered to the bridge for me and the Pilot.

I had a great time catching up from old times and there was a few familiar faces from the Majesty on the Jewel.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 09-22-2008, 10:56 AM

Very nice Svein! Am I correct in thinking the last picture is you standing on the bridge? If so, it is very nice to be able to finally put a face to your name. How great it must have been for you to meet up with old friends.

I bet it made you wish to go back, didn't it?
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 09-22-2008, 11:01 AM

I bet it felt wonderful to be back "home" on an NCL ship, Svein. Was it hard going back to real life, or easy to go back because of that terrific family of yours? How is the baby doing?

If that's you in the last picture, you sure are a cutie!!

Sandy
Old 09-22-2008, 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sandy:
I bet it felt wonderful to be back "home" on an NCL ship, Svein. Was it hard going back to real life, or easy to go back because of that terrific family of yours? How is the baby doing?

If that's you in the last picture, you sure are a cutie!!

Sandy
Thanks Jim and Sandy for nice word. Yes, it's me and I'm blushing

You know what, one of the best parts of this trip was to get the confirmation I needed that I made the right desicion regarding leaving ship life. I sure had a great time with NCL, but when I disembarked with the pilot I was so happy I was not looking into a three month contract onboard

Old 09-22-2008, 12:24 PM

Very handsome, indeed. Thank you for the great pictures! I know it had to be a tough decision to make, but I'm sure you're very happy being at home with your family. Still, I can imagine that you do miss the sea. That's ok, you can still have a taste once in a while. Then when the baby is a little older, you can cruise as a family. I love NCL's paint schemes. They're so happy.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:37 PM

Thanks Svein for the awesome pictures!

Dwayne
Old 09-22-2008, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Svein,

Great story and photos. All I can say is, my mental image of you was totally incorrect! I pictured you looking twice as old and with the weather-worn look of an ancient mariner.

It is good to have your career decisions validated. I've done the same thing, albeit for longer than a few hours. I work on contract for a few weeks once or twice a year for my former employer. It is nice to know "I don't miss this job" and I can leave it when my short contract is done - or sooner if I chose.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Wonderful photos, Svein! I thank you so much for sharing them with us. I can see how it must have been a thrill to go onboard...but at this point in your life, your heart's at home with your wife and baby.

I'll have to go through my SS Norway photos now that I know what you look like! Who knows... we might have met.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:03 PM

Hi Svein,

Thanks so much for the great pictures. I'm so excited to be going on the Jewel next summer for a Baltic Cruise. I can't wait.
Judy
Old 09-29-2008, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Beers:
Svein,

Great story and photos. All I can say is, my mental image of you was totally incorrect! I pictured you looking twice as old and with the weather-worn look of an ancient mariner.

It is good to have your career decisions validated. I've done the same thing, albeit for longer than a few hours. I work on contract for a few weeks once or twice a year for my former employer. It is nice to know "I don't miss this job" and I can leave it when my short contract is done - or sooner if I chose.
Isn't it strange how we imagine how people we deal with look like? Like on this forum or in my job where I communicate with the pilots over the radio, but when I meet some of them, I always get surprised over the way the look compared to my image of them inside my head

I think you're lucky, Dave, to have brief interactions with your former employer through contract jobs. It keeps you updated (on the gossip? ) on the environment you used to be a part of.

Closed Thread