Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2008, 07:06 PM

I know that we recently celebrated Veteran's Day, but I always find myself paying homage to the brave soldiers who lost their lives in Pearl Harbor 67 years ago. I proudly fly my flag and say a prayer for all of those who perished trying to secure freedoms that we enjoy still today.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Amen to that. I've had the good fortune to meet and know many veterans, including some who were at Pearl Harbor, some POW's from WW2, a MOH recipient from Vietnam, and too many who were wounded in battle. Most of them are gone now, including all the Pearl Harbor vets that I knew.

What they endured is hard for the rest of us to understand. God Bless them all.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Same here. I grew up listening to my family members proudly talking about the men who gave their lives that terrible day, and where they themselves were when they heard the news that Sunday. Someday, I hope to pay my respects in person.

Thank you for the post, dr.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:45 PM

Same here as well. This is a very important day in U.S. history, and I always remember it and those who perished.

Doc, thanks for posting this, we are flying our flag too. It was a fight with the condo HOA to have the flag put up, and then another after to have it illuminated at night. Thanks to the Veterans that are owners here we won this one.

I hope to visit the memorial and pay my respect and appreciation one day too.

Dwayne
Old 12-08-2008, 02:21 AM

A date that will live in infamy and hopefully it will not be forgotten.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 12-08-2008, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Beers:
I've had the good fortune to meet and know many veterans
I had the pleasure of working with a veteran of the Battle of the Bulge for many years. The man was undeniably a national treasure. His intellect and ability to let you feel his memories were incomparable. He always seemed to enjoy talking to me and, before he retired, he gave me a beautiful Walther PPK RZM Waffen SS officer's pistol(still in the original holster emblazoned with the Nazi symbol) that he took from a Nazi officer. I didn't deserve to keep such a piece of history to myself and, with the help of U.S. congressman, Glenn Browder, eventually donated it to the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum which is close to the National Mall in Washington D.C.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:19 AM

If anyone gets to Oahu, be sure to visit the Arizona Memorial and the Punch Bowl. It is an amazing part of our history. We have survived so many atrocities. My thanks to every service man and woman, you truly deserve the best!

Closed Thread