Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2007, 11:59 AM
every now and then when I come on cruise chat & before I log on.....whilst on the main board browsing on the sections to see whats new, I sometimes hear a small " beep,beep,beep " coming from my monitor ( I don't have seperate speakers )

Has anyone else had this happen ?....can anyone explain why this sometimes happens ?

Nothing else happens....I can just carry on as normal after asking my other half " did you hear beep ,beep,beep on the tv just now " and she says "no"

maybe someone can throw some light on this as its happened about five times now....but never more than once on the same day.

Thanks ....jack
Old 10-06-2007, 12:07 PM
Administrator

I don't know. I've never encountered it.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:32 PM
why do I get the feeling it's only on my computer ? The reason I brought this up is that about 10 minutes before I posted ,I heard it again.
When you consider that I usually have a look on here every day and quite often look at things a few times each evening....it really doesn't happen that often....but once or twice a month is just enough to notice.

Hope someone with a bit of computer knowledge may have an idea....regards jack
Old 10-06-2007, 02:49 PM

Time to increase the dosage of your medication Jack! Just kidding. Not sure what you are hearing, but I have never encountered anything like that coming into cruise chat. I DO know that in Outlook email, any message mark as "high priority" will beep like that when it arrives, but I can't think of how that would link to cruise chat. (You don't have a PM waiting do you?) OR, do you have some kind of ad blocker or pop-up blocker that beeps when it deletes an ad? That could do it. Everytime you enter cruise chat the ad blocker kills and ad and beeps at you.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 10-06-2007, 06:18 PM

Actually, after I upgraded to IE7 last week I get an occaisional weird noise as well. Mine is not a beep beep beep, but more like a drop on water plop.

It is a coincidence that a technical question came up, I was thinking about starting a thread called Tech Stuff or something like that last night. I recently restored my computer, installed wireless broadband, and installed all the updates for XP. I have had a ton of tech questions lately.

Not to mention the new digital camera, and atomic watch!

Dwayne
Old 10-06-2007, 07:06 PM

If I were you, Dwayne; I'd get to work on that "tecj tread" right away!

Sonny
Old 10-07-2007, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim C.:
You don't have a PM waiting do you?) OR, do you have some kind of ad blocker or pop-up blocker that beeps when it deletes an ad? That could do it. Everytime you enter cruise chat the ad blocker kills and ad and beeps at you.
No none of those and I've been on cruise chat 3 times today and heard nothing....but...you may have a point...it could well be a sort of alert that just by coincidence has occured when I'm on cruise chat...or maybe not. I'm not too worried ...I just thought someone a bit more computer savvy than me might have a idea.

So I've had replies from the men moderators...do you think the lady moderators are too busy doing the hoovering and ironing to reply ?

Only joking....he adds hastily
Old 10-07-2007, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Nice save, Jack. (I would have been here sooner, but I was paying the bills, balancing the checkbook, fixing a leak in the sink, and painting the living room. Ironing was yesterday. )

Seriously...

You mentioned this happens before you log in? I usually remain logged in (and never hear the sounds you describe), so I logged out to see what would happen. I returned to the site, browsed, and then logged in, and still didn't hear anything.

My guess is that it's something running in the background, as Jim mentioned. Or, pure coincidence, as you stated.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:15 PM

Have you given any thought to it being close to Halloween?

Sonny
Old 10-08-2007, 09:43 AM

The plop sound after upgrading to IE 7 is windows letting you know that either there is an ActiveX plug-in that needs to be installed or if you have pop-up blocker turned on it's blocking a pop-up and you can temporarily allow it or not. Also, if you left auto-phishing filter on, it could be that. The best thing is to disable the phishing filter. It in itself is phishing. Jack2007, I was thinking maybe a key on your keyboard might be stuck or sticking. Best wishes!

Closed Thread