Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2007, 07:10 PM

Mike, Congrats buddy! I was married 26 years ago in January and had a honeymoon weekend at a Sherraton about 30 miles from where I got married. The wedding was big, as my wife is from a huge family. My wife was in college and I was scraping by to make rent and afford to keep an old car running at the time. Her parents sprung for the wedding, mine were not financially able to help nor did I expect them to. We'd have had a simple wedding here in Texas if I'd have had any say in the matter. Of course I didn't, that was my wife and her mothers domain.

The early, simple life hasn't affected our happiness and I wouldn't change a thing. Plan an affordable and enjoyable honeymoon cruise, I don't think your destination and surroundings will matter much when you look back on it in 25 years. You'll just be happy you found each other. My best advice is don't get deep in debt for a wedding, honeymoon or anything else starting out. It makes life so much more enjoyable if money is not a factor to cause issues as you're beginning a new chapter in your life!

Cheers, Neil
Old 11-26-2007, 12:13 PM

Haha, Dr, good point!

Neil - all good advice. In the end it's not going to matter what color the linen was, or how big the centerpiece was, or if I got the beef or chicken. Just looking forward to the future!
Old 11-26-2007, 08:50 PM

Congratulations Mike!

We celebrated our 43rd anniversary this year. We got married when my husband was a junior in college. I worked and he went to school. Three months after we were married, we bought a TV. My Dad couldn't understand why we would buy a TV when we didn't even have chairs to sit on! Hey, we had two lawn chairs and card table chairs. They worked.

Like Neil said, the simple life didn't affect our happiness and looking back on where we started makes us thankful for how far we have come!

So much luck and happiness to you. Enjoy the wedding planning knowing it will lead up to a wonderful honeymoon cruise!

Nadine
Old 12-05-2007, 10:04 AM

Sorry for not congratulating you sooner, we were on our cruise It's marvelous news! Neil is spot on, but it would be a fantastic way to start out your new lives together by getting married on board. That way you could combine your wedding and honeymoon! Plus, you wouldn't have to deal with all the hoopla when everyone gets involved in planning. I do pray that y'all will have a wonderful and fulfilling life together. Just remember, for better and for worse, in sickness and in health. 99% of the time it's worth working to keep the marriage strong and healthy. We've become way to much of a disposable society, so always remember why you married (both of y'all). I'm so very happy for you and your bride to be!
Old 12-05-2007, 12:17 PM

Thanks, penny - no worries about the delay! I hope your cruise was fantastic!
Though the idea of getting married on board sounds nice, it’s just not in the cards for us - at over 200 guests, it just won’t work. Fortunately, we finalized the church and reception hall yesterday! It was actually very easy because her parents are pro's at this - with 9 kids, many of whom are married, they have plenty of experience. I actually walked in the door from hockey practice and my fiancé gave me the good news – practically no work on my part!

And no need to worry about a lasting marriage - we are both pretty strict Catholics, and understand the value of marriage, what to expect (the good and bad), and have taken lots of steps to ensure a strong relationship. Not that you need to be Catholic for a strong marriage, it's just that the Church puts a high value on marriage, and the divorce rate of people who follow the teachings is nearly non-existant. I agree about our society today - it seems that as soon as something is less than perfect, people are ready to jump ship. Or they rush into a marriage with the wrong values, and then scratch their head when it all falls apart. I better stop before I get too preachy haha...
Old 12-06-2007, 01:12 PM

My old man gave me the best advice I ever recieved about marriage. He said "Keep it about she and we and stay away from it being about me". Found out much later that he pulled her aside one day and told her the same replacing the she with a he. Too many things about "me" get in the way and can make marriage really hard work. i always go back to my dear ol' dads wisdom when things get tough and it smooths out almost any issue. My folks will celebrate their 60th in January so they know a little about the topic.

Cheers, Neil
Old 12-14-2007, 05:39 PM

Congrats Mike! I am 24 (fiance is 29) and we are getting married in June... finally! (We have been together for over 5 years and engaged for over 2.) I am Catholic as well so I completely understand where you are coming from. Our "marriage encounter" classes begin in January.

I am extremely lucky. My parents are paying for most of the wedding AND our honeymoon (but only because we are letting them come with us! lol). On top of that, my mom has taken over most of the planning and I couldn't be happier about it. I am more like a guy when it comes to this wedding planning business... just tell me when and where, and I'll be there. I just want to be married already so we can go on our honeymoon cruise on the Liberty!!

Closed Thread