Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2007, 02:13 AM

I know we are not suppose to discuss religion here. But I feel I have committed a sin some way with a Southern Tradition!

I went to the store and bought frozen Collards and Zatarains Black Eyed Peas with Rice in a box (Hoppin' John) for New Years!

Dwayne
Old 12-31-2007, 02:13 AM

I know we are not suppose to discuss religion here. But I feel I have committed a sin some way with a Southern Tradition!

I went to the store and bought frozen Collards and Zatarains Black Eyed Peas with Rice in a box (Hoppin' John) for New Years!

Dwayne
Old 12-31-2007, 05:49 AM
Administrator

Oh my. That reminds me of a line in "My Cousin Vinny" regarding instant grits.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:23 AM
Administrator

Zatarain's is still pretty good stuff. I like collards too - even the frozen ones.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:06 PM

Actually I think the Zatarain's red beans and rice is pretty darn good with Jerk Chicken!
I don't mind the frozen collards either, I will spice them right up!

It is my job to cook on New Year's and I usually make it all fresh. I will have too much going on to do that this time. Lawd have mercy!

Dwayne
Old 01-02-2008, 06:42 AM

I am actually doing red beans and rice and collards out of cans this year. I have become quite fond of a brand called "Glory Foods". They have a "sensibly seasoned" line that has far less sodium than most brands. This allows me the freedom of seasoning them how I want without all of the typical can food preservatives. Of course, these offerings will be paired with an array of wines to help keep up my epicurean reputation.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:17 AM

I made Teriyaki Pork with veggies and black eyed peas for our New Year's day dinner. I made turkey with all the fixings for New Year's eve. Country ham with red eye gravy was Christmas dinner this year. Guess I broke a lot of southern rules
Old 01-03-2008, 09:40 AM

Oh, how boring we Northerners are ! We broke tradition this year and decided to grill Sirloin strip steaks accompanied by crabmeat stuffed mushrooms, twice baked potatoes, assorted veggies baked in the oven and other tempting goodies. Only glad that the weather cooperated with the BBQ. Now, with all the snow, we would barely be able to see the BBQ grill if it were sitting outside.
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Peter1

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 01-03-2008, 12:23 PM

Wow, that sounds wonderful. I was going to say maybe next year I'd try that, but next year, Lord willing we'll be cruising for both Christmas and New Years
Old 01-03-2008, 01:29 PM
Administrator

I think my family has grown tired of the usual ham,turkey, mashed potato, dressing (stuffing), cranberry sauce, etc., meal for Christmas. Thanksgiving is fine for that, but next year I think we have all agreed to have steaks, baked potato, and salads. NY style Cheesecake too! I even volunteered to get the steaks from Allen Brothers (dry aged).

Closed Thread

Tags
black, cooking, cruise, eyed, hoppin, john, oven, peas, reviews, rice, southern, zatarain, zatarains