Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2008, 05:54 AM

We are at $3.06 for off-brand at Murphy's. It is some how affiliated with Wal-Mart, because they are in the same parking lot and offer a discount of some kind concerning them.

The guy where I normally buy gas (BP) told me to be wary of the cheap gas. That it may not have the additives that are needed. Prolly, a bunch of ?

Does it make a difference where you buy it, just wondering?

Dwayne
Old 03-27-2008, 06:17 AM

Since it all comes from the same place- who cares. Most people have been using the cheaper brands for years without any problems. Here in SW Florida regular is going for an ave of $3.30 & up. It's a good thing I'm retired & don't have to fill up 2 times a week anymore. My biggest concern is when are the cruise lines going to up their fuel surcharges again & the increases in food prices which are constantly increasing.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:06 AM

I think it was 20/20 or one of those type shows. The "experts" stated that there wasn't much difference in fuel additives. All of them have to meet federal standards.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:28 AM
Administrator

This all goes back to a story I read a while back. The guy in charge of a state laboratory that inspects gasoline stations was interviewed. It was either New Jersey or New Hampshire. They randomly buy gasoline from different places - "brand-name" and "no brand" - and analyze it to ensure it meets standards. He said in all the sampling he had ever done, there wasn't a significant difference between any of the samples. Brand X 87 octane was just as good as Sunoco 87 octane. In fact, much of the fuel sold by "no brand" stations is excess inventory from brand name distributors or a blend of more than one brand name. So that fuel you buy at the Mom and Pop station down the street is quite likely Chevron, or Exxon, or perhaps a little of each.

They state guy was asked where he bought his fuel, and he said "I always go to the cheapest place I can find".

I'll admit to usually getting Exxon because I can use my nifty little Speedpass and it makes the transaction quicker. Plus I don't have to wait for a pump...because....87 octane at the Speedway station at the I65 interchange is $3.08 today. It is $3.24 at the Exxon station right next door. My 93 octane at the Exxon was $3.45. There is often a wait for an open pump at the Speedway.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:33 AM

Here is Wisconsin they're talking about another 30% increase in dairy products because of the cost of corn. The government is subsidizing farmers to grow millions of acres of corn for making ethnol to add to gasoline. I get 3 miles per gallon less when I use the ethnol gas. I have to go to another county 40 miles west to get the good gas. What's next? Is there going to be a food shortage because we don't want to drill for oil in the U.S.?

Sonny
Old 03-27-2008, 11:48 AM
Administrator

My mileage suffers too when using ethanol blends.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Beers:
My mileage suffers too when using ethanol blends.
I can't even us it in my car but we're all paying the price with higher prices for other things since they began to manufacture more of it.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:46 PM

There is also starting to be a flour shortage. However that should correct itself. Before long we won't be able to afford to drive to the store to buy food, that will increase supplies.
Was $3.59 for the cheap stuff here in Oakhurst California.
I do some part time trenching. I have really seen the price for parts go up in the last few months.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:45 PM

The price of everything will go up because everything has to be delivered by trucks and diesel fuel is over $4.00 a gallon. Wasn't long ago diesel fuel was cheaper than gasoline.

Sonny
Old 03-30-2008, 05:50 AM

That's very true about the diesel. My grandmother had a VW Rabbit with a diesel engine to save money over buying gas in the late 70's. It used to be so much less than gas.

Dwayne

Tags
al, billing, chervon, chevron, closed, cruise, cycle, east, eastlinestone, gallon, happen, limestone, long, miles, ship, station