Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2008, 12:31 PM

I don't usually check the boards over the weekend, so I'm going to say "Happy 4th of July!" to everyone now.

Enjoy the BBQs, beer and friends/family - and try not to blow your fingers off while lighting fireworks!
Old 07-03-2008, 02:04 PM
Administrator

I get a little nostalgic when I think of the Independence Days of my youth. We'd have the barbecued (burned) hot dogs and hamburgers in the afternoon, then we'd all pile in the car and head to the Fish & Game Club which was on a small hill a few miles away. They always had a fireworks display that could be seen for miles, and they had a small carnival of sorts, with a few booths selling trinkets, games, and my favorites - the booths selling Italian sausage , meatball, and pepperoni sandwiches and fried dough. They had a huge field and everyone would either bring lawnchairs or simply throw a blanket out and sit. The anticipation grew as the sun set and we waited for it to get dark enough for the fireworks. Kids would be twirling sparklers and there was always a rumor about some guy who was selling cherry bombs illegally. Such was the Fourth Of July in Columbia County NY in the late 1950's through the early 70's.

Fireworks are legal here in my part of Alabama, and we have some bottle rockets and other small items. I've got ribs to barbecue and hot dogs to burn.

Everyone be safe and have a nice weekend.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:21 PM

Everyone be safe!
Old 07-03-2008, 04:49 PM

Dave, I love the post taking us all back to our youths. Our spot was an amusement park called Camden Park in Huntington WV across the river. We'd head to the park, spend the day on rides and then head to Dairy Queen for 4th of July banana splits. They changed them for the holiday with red white and blue toppings.

Then back to the park where they had a roller rink. We'd skate until dark and then head out for the fireworks. Have a great and safe celebration!

Cheers, Neil
Old 07-03-2008, 07:06 PM

Ah yes... I still love the whole fireworks thing. I don't have any cherry bombs, but I still have some silver salutes that are just as good. Happy 4th to everyone!!!!
Old 07-03-2008, 08:02 PM

Happy 4th of July to everyone! I already had a deep reverence for this holiday. After I watched the John Adams mini series on HBO, I can't help but to remember the sacrifices made to make it a reality even more. Nathan's hot dogs for me, after all it is a special occasion. Everyone have a safe holiday.

Dwayne

Old 07-04-2008, 03:33 AM
Administrator

Happy Fourth to our U.S. Members! As I'm sure many of you know, Boston (the closest large city to us) goes all out for the Fourth. Re-enactments of historical events are held, capped with Boston Pops concert and fireworks show. The USS Constitution also goes out for her annual turnaround -- that is always beautiful to watch.

Adding to the excitement this year is that Queen Mary 2 is in town. I wonder if she'll stick around for the fireworks, as QE2 has done in the past (ironic as it might be).

Have a safe one, all!

LisaP
Old 07-04-2008, 07:22 AM

Happy 4th!

Here too in the Washington, DC area, you can imagine all the events and concerts being held, including the momma of them all, the concert and fireworks near the Washington Monument. I don't think we have all the wonderful re-enactments that Boston has! We have some weather worries this year, and very tight security, but it promises to be another festive, moving occasion.

We have several run-ups to the fireworks in this area. We saw a major fireworks display on Sunday, put on by an organization that always holds its fireworks the Sunday before the 4th. I've been hearing other fireworks shows but have not been able to see where they're coming from.

Wherever you are and however your town and you celebrate, I hope it's a good one and a safe one for all.

Sandy
Old 07-04-2008, 08:15 AM
Administrator

In Decatur, Alabama, they have a Spirit Of America festival. Each year they give the Audie Murphy Patriotism Award. This year's recipient is Captain Joe Hooper who was the most decorated solider in the Vietnam War. I know his widow, Faye Hooper. We first met in the early 1990's when I was involved in funding and building an Alabama Vietnam Memorial at the I-65 rest stop near the Tennessee border (the one with the Saturn 1-B rocket). She is a very sweet woman and I can think of nobody more deserving of the Audie Murphy award than her late husband.

If you want to read an incredible story, look at the Medal Of Honor Citation for Joe Hooper. It may be disturbing to some of you so read with caution.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:34 AM

Happy 4th of July, folks!

Hope you and your families will enjoy the long weekend!

Raoul Fiebig

Closed Thread