Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2009, 07:16 AM
Technology and society is evolving into Remove and Replace more than ever. This week I've had to replace the kitchen stove. Naturally, I called in the factory repairman for the fastest service. After he looked at the stove for 5 minutes, he got on his laptop, got answers to his questions and...low and behold the computer fault isolated the problem and he announced ...$400.00 to remove and replace the part (stove computer!!

Sounded Right ... but first, bofore agreeing I said give me a day. I then went out, found the same stove design, from the same manufacturer, on sale, with removal and delivery, for $369!!

This was a no-brainer and the stove was delivered this morning!!(11 years ago I paid $511 for the same stove!()

The serviceman (I won't call him a repairman) was annoyed when I called back! Why? He did not do any repair, he did not do any remove/replace and I paid him his fee for the service call!!

I guess being cost effective is meaningless - but it is a sad sign of the times when repairmen cannot fix the things they are trained to fix and can only replace the part with whole new modules!

But then, Why bother to fix things when new ones are cheaper!!

BillyBuzzy
Old 08-05-2009, 07:40 AM

Everything is now computerized, good in some respects, ridiculous in others. Why would you pay $400 for a part when you can get a new stove for $369 with a warranty (at least for a while)? It's a no-brainer for sure! Maybe the repairman would have received a commission off of the part. If that was the case, they should have priced the part more competitively. Heck, even doctors are trying to do that now. Got a bad hip, let's replace it, bad knee, bad heart. One day soon, I foresee having computer chips in us to report back to the doctors. They already have similar devices for heart monitors and pace makers. That's kind of scarey, though, what happens in a storm
Old 08-05-2009, 08:20 AM

Billy, I had the same experience last month. Our 5 year old washing machine (just out of warranty by 2 months) started acting up. I called for repair service, and was told up front that it was $70 just to come give a diagnostic test. The tansmission was out which was gonna cost $212 plus tax and then a minimum of $90 labor (which could go extra depending on hourly) plus mileage rate of .20 per mile (38 miles each way) making my expected cost near $400. I got a newer model with more features and warranty for less than $400. We are a throw away economy for sure.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:21 AM

billy... I've gone further than that, I use the computer myself (probably much like your repairman did) and was able to repair our washing machine and dishwasher for next to nothing.

The days are gone where appliances were more mechanical than electrical. Now everything seems to have a computer on board that can pop out an error code to tell you what is wrong. The down side is that these computers are what tend to break most often and they cost the most money to replace!

Penny- I'm waiting until they can fix ugly. I'll go in for my new face then.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 08-05-2009, 11:09 AM

You'll have to stand behind me in line, Jim
Old 08-05-2009, 11:27 AM
Administrator

TVs are probably a lot more reliable today but I remember my two uncles who repaired radios and TV sets. Yes, radios. I remember them repairing those great old radios that were pieces of furniture. They sounded great. Those old tuners could really pull in a signal. I was fascinated by the big tool boxes full of vacuum tubes and testing devices. It was helpful on a personal level too. If our old Philco set blew a tube Uncle Ray would be there shortly to fix it. No waiting (well, not much).
Old 08-05-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim C.:

The days are gone where appliances were more mechanical than electrical. Now everything seems to have a computer on board that can pop out an error code to tell you what is wrong. The down side is that these computers are what tend to break most often and they cost the most money to replace!
Jim, the same is often true of vehicles as you well know. I've already replaced one..ouch!

Dwayne
Old 08-05-2009, 11:49 AM

Dave, we have one of those radios. It was Ron's moms. It needs a couple of tubes and it will be good to go.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:34 PM

I'd love to have one of those tube radios. You can get the tubes online to replace the bad ones.

Back in high school, in electronics "shop" class they had one that only needed a couple of tubes and some TLC on the cabinet and it would have been as good as new. I was told that they were going to great rid of all the "junk" items that were in the "to be repaired" pile and if I wanted the old radio I could have it. I came in on clean up day ready to pick up my radio and the class before mine had not only chucked it into the dumpster but then proceeded to turn it into "target practice" for any heavy item they had to throw out... I was cheesed.. I suppose I could find one on ebay or something but nothing would have beat "free for the taking"
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 08-06-2009, 09:40 AM

I wish I still had our old Curtis Mathis Stereo Console TV. It had the tv, turntable, and stereo in one cabinet. My dad got it from Salvation Army for $10, put a couple of tubes in it and it lasted for years. It was still in great shape when they sold it. They were moving to North Carolina and didn't want to ship it. I had a tiny apartment that didn't have room for it. Oh well

Closed Thread

Tags
curtis, happened, matis, repairman, repairmen