Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2008, 05:21 AM

Maybe it's the fact that we cruise too much... but, I always think of food around holidays. It gives me something to look forward too. For the 4th, I am grilling a couple of racks of ribs (and I am not talking about a sissy gas grill here) Real wood and charcoal will be involved! Of course, the obligatory barrel of beer will be present. I wanted to know how others celebrated the 4th.... is it food or fireworks?
Old 07-04-2008, 06:07 AM
Administrator

I have a rack of ribs to do. What I usually do is get them done and then stoke the remaining charcoal and do the obligatory burgers, brats, and hot dogs. Corn on the cob and roasted potatoes and root vegetables too. I just toss the potatoes, carrots, onions in some foil with olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper and toss them on the grill for a while. And I have a loaf of Zingerman's Deli farmers bread I'll heat up.

Beer, rum punch, sodas.

Looks like the weather forecast for here shows likely rain today and tonight, so the fireworks may not happen.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:54 PM

We're going do smoked sausage, chicken, peppers and onions. Maybe some rice with it. My hubby will be consuming his beer and I'll be drinking water. I'm saving up for the cruise so I can have a few drinks then!
Old 07-04-2008, 05:09 PM
Administrator

I got my cooking done before the rain starts. It seems to be falling apart before it gets to Limestone County so we've been dry all day. I didn't buy any new fireworks because I found a stash from last year that will suffice. Now the rain will come!

Oh, and someone hit my mailbox again. It usually happens while we are on a cruise, but today my wife comes home and says "what's up with the mailbox?". I go out and find it laying in the yard. While it being damaged bothers me, it bothers me more that someone hits it and doesn't have the integrity to let me know they hit it. And they can't tell me they hit a mailbox and didn't know it.

Four mailboxes since 2004.
Old 07-04-2008, 05:47 PM

Dave, glad you didn't have a soggy day of cooking. I've lost two mailboxes but it's been over 15 years. Mine is directly behind the neighbor across the street's driveway. Seems every time the house sells someone moves in who has teenagers learning to drive. They've let me know each time but the first was a guy who believed himself a do-it-yourself kinda guy and said he'd replace it. He put the replacement up crooked when he did. So I didn't mind so much when the second happened and let them know I'd take care of replacing it myself this time.

Cheers, Neil
Old 07-05-2008, 05:24 AM

Well, the weather here was lovely but it didn't help with my cooking abilities. My ribs were inedible... (much to my neighbors delight) I ended up going next door for the greasiest fried chicken that I have ever enjoyed. (oddly enough, he and his wife are cardiologists) Tonight, I am just going to try steaks.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:36 AM

i have to give myself a pat on the back for my first attempt at pulled pork over the weekend....came out fantastic!

a few pork shoulders, smoked for around 6 hours, then pulled and served with my own homemade BBQ sauce......went over really well with my friends, especially since us New Yorkers don't always get real BBQ

was actually really east to make, too
Old 07-07-2008, 06:51 AM
Administrator

It's been a while since I did a boston butt for barbecue. It is so easy to buy it around here and the purchased pork is tastier than I can make it.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:08 AM

Dave, about 2 weeks ago we had our mailbox stolen. Not hit. I was out in the garden pulling weeds at 5:30 am, went in around 8:30 showered and dressed to go to town. Went to Decatur, filled up the car, had breakfast, went to the grocery store and went home. When I got home, no mailbox. I assumed someone had hit in since we it's on a curve, so I went looking in the bar ditches-no mailbox. I went across the street and asked a neighbor if he had seen anything, but he hadn't. I called the police, which did no good, and decided I'd go walking around to see if I could find it. About a half mile away in the middle of a pasture, I found it. I waited until my hubby came home because it was too heavy for me to lift. He went and loaded it in the back of his truck. Someone had beat the living daylights out of it, and left the rest in tack. They just sawed the post off at ground level. We put it back out after we beat it back into shape a little bit. They must have seen me leave for town, I don't know. I wasn't gone for more than 2 hours. Never did figure out why or who.

I made some fantastic ribs last night. I rubbed them in mustard and brown sugar, then poured on Jerk seasoning, let them marinate for about 30 hours. Put them on the coals for about 2 hours, finished them off with a little bar-b-que sauce-yummo!
Old 07-07-2008, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Our problem is the people who live in the "upscale" subdivision down a ways from those of us on the main access road. The speed limit is 25mph but those people mostly do twice that speed just so they can blow through our area and get home faster. It's like Craft Road is some inconvenience that needs to be traversed as fast as possible. Of course since it is just a sub-division access road no police patrol it. And we are in the county so it'd have to be the sheriff or the state police - in other words it ain't gonna happen. Meanwhile I am thinking of buying a spare mailbox to have in reserve.

Closed Thread