Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2010, 08:18 PM

You might have seen this. They are going around in an email.Pretty good stuff IMHO.
set 1
set 2
set 3

Old 04-18-2010, 08:46 PM
Administrator

As I recall that photo of the Nimitz rolling to starboard in a big way was in sea trials after it's last major overhaul. Take around 98,000 tons of ship (real tons, not gross tons), run it up to flank speed (around 40 mph), and then spin the rudder all the way until it stops. I'll bet they got pressurizer low level alarms on both reactors. Probably on the steam generators too.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave:
As I recall that photo of the Nimitz rolling to starboard in a big way was in sea trials after it's last major overhaul. Take around 98,000 tons of ship (real tons, not gross tons), run it up to flank speed (around 40 mph), and then spin the rudder all the way until it stops. I'll bet they got pressurizer low level alarms on both reactors. Probably on the steam generators too.
I bet that would have been a ride and a half if you were aboard.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:34 PM

Thanks for sharing, Gary. I loved the pics. I'm now in the mood to visit the USS North Carolina or the USS Yorktown again. It is always so interesting and educational. I have always loved the ships, and even as a kid would get the model kits. I miss the Wart-Hogs going up and down the coast here.

Loved the quote at the end of each picture set;

"If you can read this thank a teacher, if you are reading it in English thank the Military."

Dwayne
Old 04-19-2010, 01:18 AM
Funny how one of the flares in the first set forms an eagle

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 04-20-2010, 08:13 AM

Dwayne, if I lived where I could see the A-10, I would never get any work done outside just waiting and watching. Those are one of the meanest and intimidating planes in the air as far as I am concerned. Love 'em!
Old 04-20-2010, 08:34 AM
Administrator

If were young and in training to be an Air Force pilot, I'd pick the A-10 over all the others as what I'd want to fly. Who needs a Mach 2 F-15 when you can fly low over the battle field blasting the **** out of tanks and missile launchers. I read where the Air Force initially didn't want the A-10 but it was forced down their throats by congress.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:52 PM
WOW, Seeing all those pictures of the C-17 and many others makes me Proud of being an Air Force Vet. I did spend most of my time on C-5's and C-130's and C141's. Thanks for the memories Gary....I feel old at the moment!
Wonderful pictures and I was off on a thousand memories of my 20 years in the AF
Funny how I ended up loving Cruising. Did I belong in the NAVY? No, can't swim worth a lick, and I grow up in RI on the beach ????
Go figure ?
Jan

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Closed Thread