Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2008, 04:56 AM
Administrator

Strangely, we haven't had bad weather in the Northeastern U.S. -- until today. There was an ice storm just north of us that took out power lines and made for slippery and dangerous travel, in general. We are just south of the rain/snow line and are getting lots of rain.

We did have a couple of days earlier this week when the temperatures were around 10F/-12,2C, but it was up to 60F/16,6C later that same week. No snow yet, other than some brief flurries on Sunday. This is very unusual for us, too.

Stay safe, everyone.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:07 AM

Something wicked and windy blew through here last night. I don't know what the heck it was. We went from a tornado watch to a warning for some reason. Nothing ever showed up on the Doppler as being that intense. There is stuff strewn all over the place.

I hope everyone stays safe during this weird phenomenon of weather.

Dwayne
Old 12-12-2008, 06:57 AM

Woke up and had to remove 5 inches of snow from my drive way. I can't wait until we book and take our Bahamas cruise.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 12-12-2008, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by penny3333:
If I didn't have to work, I sure wouldn't have been out in this mess today. The wind is horrible and I don't want a cold before/during or after my upcoming cruise. With weather like this, it seems inevitable I am really ready for the Caribbean!
Don't worry, Penny... A little fun, sun, and snorkeling in St. Barth's and Trinidad will cure whatever ails you. And if it doesn't, look on the bright side, at least most of those areas sell prescription strength cold medicines over the counter.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:41 AM

You're so right DrL, it was 20 something this morning, with a dazzling high of 45 predicted. I hear the ocean calling me, but just can't leave right now. This work thing always gets in the way
Old 12-12-2008, 10:42 PM

Quote:
And if it doesn't, look on the bright side, at least most of those areas sell prescription strength cold medicines over the counter. Razz
Duh Me! I had been wondering why there are so many people buying things in the drug stores on the islands. I knew about the Retin-A in Mexico. My cousin always asks me to get her some. I don't want to tell her though that it isn't working.

It turned back cold here again. Just some kind of normal weather would be nice. I have limited storage for clothes, so it has been like roulette when pulling out the bins to get dressed. I never know what the day is going to bring lately.

Dwayne
Old 12-14-2008, 10:42 AM

The ice storm that hit much of New England was a cruel reminder of the storm that hit her in 1998 where parts of Maine lost power for weeks..I had heard that Between New Hampshire and Maine the outages were in excess of 500M and some will wait until middle of next week to get the power back...Those of us that went through the 1998 and did not get hit this time are very thankful and sorry for those that are currently suffering.

Peter1

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 12-14-2008, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Here is our current forecast for this coming Thursday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 70. It was around 20 just the other morning and we never got above 35 in the day. Alabama winters are crazy. Usually, when it is 70 in the winter we have severe storms, tornadoes, hail.

If the forecast holds, we'll pay for it later on.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
The ice storm that hit much of New England was a cruel reminder of the storm that hit her in 1998 where parts of Maine lost power for weeks
I'd rather have a tornado warning than an ice storm. The ice storms always cause much more widespread damage and misery. Unfortunately we live right on the line where the winter storms often transition from snow in Tennessee to ice over us, and then rain south of us.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:55 PM

We are getting snow now, have been getting light snow for a few hours. It is suppose to be stormy for the next few weeks.
The nice thing where we live is, we get a few inches of snow, then it rains or the storm is over. We have never had to clean the drive or sidewalk.
We do need the snow and rain here.

Closed Thread