Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2008, 02:10 PM
Administrator

About the only time I eat something sugary is when cruising, and of course it is just part of a larger breakfast. Every once in a while I will have pop-tarts at home, but never by themselves.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:42 PM
Normally, I can understand most things you guys say but sometimes I get a little puzzled.

Dave explained what a LEO is but then he mentioned H & H which I'm guessing is a well known company in the USA but tried a google and I'm still none the wiser.So what do the letters stand for and is it something everyone ( apart from me ) will have heard of ?

Sparks said he had "sausage gravy with biscuits and S.O.S " Can someone explain what SOS is ? Again I tried googling but still couldn't work it out.
Also what is sausage gravy....is it a kind of onion tasting gravy ?
Old 12-21-2008, 02:52 PM

Sorry about that, Jack. S.O.S. is creamed chipped beef on toast. The S.O.S. stands for "shoot on a shingle", just replace the two o's with an i. I'm not sure how old the term is, but believe it dates back to before my birth which ages it a bit.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 12-21-2008, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Sausage gravy is also called country gravy, or sawmill gravy. It is milk gravy. Brown some bulk pork sausage, add flour to the meat and grease and let it brown a little, add your seasonings, and then milk. Bring to boil to thicken and you are done. Some make the gravy without the meat in it for use over chicken-fried steak and mashed potatoes - a truly wonderful meal best served in roadside diners. Cracker Barrel restaurants make good "CFS". They call their gravy sawmill.

H&H is a bagel shop in New York City. They do mail orders. Great bagels.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:33 PM
Administrator

I remember the Navy making their SOS with hamburger instead of the chipped beef. I am also a big fan of the creamed chipped beef on toast. It has a bad history because it was often poorly made by the Army cooks, and also because it was a frequent menu item that the men got sick of seeing.

As is the case, most people use those jars of Armour dried beef to make SOS. And the gravy for SOS is really the same thing as that in sausage gravy.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Jack,

Here are two recipes. Bob Evans also has a chain of restaurants which serve excellent food.

Bob Evans Sausage Gravy Recipe

Armour Star SOS Recipe.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:54 PM
Thanks....all is now clear

So when I'm not on a cruise and on vacation on your side of the pond....what famous chain do I go to for my " real " breakfast ?
http://www.dennys.com/en/cms/Real+Breakfast/186.html
Yes it's true I really do like Dennys and the IHOP as a place to go for breakfast
They may not be classy but they are easy to find and good for a breakfast.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Beers:
I remember the Navy making their SOS with hamburger instead of the chipped beef.
Yep, I remember that well. I'll have to try that one with the boys (maybe over mashed potatoes instead of toast). I just ate dinner but I'm all hungry again.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 12-21-2008, 04:00 PM
Dave....I'm going to try out the sausage gravy receipe you posted....it does look interesting and might add variety to my normal home cooked breakfast.
I'm not too sure about the creamed chipped beef....maybe I'll try it one evening.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Just don't ever - EVER - try the sausage gravy they serve on Royal Caribbean. It is ghastly. Truly a watery, miserable disaster. They should be flogged for serving it.

Try adding a pinch each of dried thyme and sage to that Bob Evans recipe when you add the flour. It makes a huge difference.

Putting it on baking powder biscuits is important. The sausage gravy never seems right if served over toasted bread. It is also good over mashed potatoes, or make a breakfast bowl with the sausage gravy poured over a bowl layered with scrambled eggs and fried potatoes. Quite good. It always needs freshly ground black pepper on top.

Closed Thread

Tags
bagel, breakfast, buffet, carnival, cruise, egg, english, leo, muffins, salmon, whats