Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2008, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I thought they would give him the option to take a helicopter ride with them back to shore
That is not something they do. I doubt they even landed on the ship since this is always a dangerous thing to do, especially when it involves a non-military ship (lack of training, etc.). The USCG most likely flew search patterns based on the ship speed and position and course, and the closest they got to the ship was to fly by and talk via radio.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Beers:
quote:
I thought they would give him the option to take a helicopter ride with them back to shore
That is not something they do. I doubt they even landed on the ship since this is always a dangerous thing to do, especially when it involves a non-military ship (lack of training, etc.). The USCG most likely flew search patterns based on the ship speed and position and course, and the closest they got to the ship was to fly by and talk via radio.
It's so sad they weren't able to find her. How close to the water can they get?
Old 05-14-2008, 04:50 PM
Administrator

They can get right down on the water, but when you do that it significantly reduces your search area. Think of being in an airplane at 1000 feet and how much you can see, as opposed to an airplane at 100 feet.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:29 PM

They don't usually find the body of a person gone overboard at sea from what I recall.

Sonny

Old 05-14-2008, 06:01 PM
Watching Nancy Grace again it looks like they have cleared the boyfriend. Security cameras captured him leave his cabin and go next door. They also see her climb the balcony and go overboard after the boyfriend left the cabin. Nancy asked if there was a door inbetween the rooms which could mean he went back through but I do not think they suspect that. I assume they see only the woman on the balcony. I believe it is supposed to be on NG again tomorrow. Guess they had just returned from dinner at 7:30.

The mother was upset that the BF did not call her till the next morning some 14 hrs after this happened. I am not sure I feel that was a bad thing. I have to put myself in the mothers shoes. Would I want someone to call me and tell me that my daughter has gone overboard and they are looking for her. What would I do? I imagine he was hoping that they would find her alive and that he could call her and say she went overboard but good news....they found her alive! Unforunately that is not the case.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:14 PM
Given that the winds in the area were high and the sea was rough at the time of the loss / search- a helicopter extraction was unnecessarily dangerous to the aircrew, the passenger and the ship. I spent a number of years with USAF Rescue and Recovery. Safety is No. 1 for all parties involved. Then again,The ship was only 4 hours out-still the practicality of returning to port is up to the Captain of the ship! The affected passenger had very little few choices made available to him.
I am sure there will be much going on upon his arrival in Bermuda!

BillyBuzzy

Montserrat Villas
Old 05-14-2008, 06:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
a helicopter extraction was unnecessarily dangerous to the aircrew, the passenger and the ship.
Absolutely. During my Navy life I landed on aircraft carriers and also on guided missile cruisers. The air crew didn't mind the carrier landings, but I could tell they really hated trying to hit a circle on the pitching and rolling cruiser. It was not a fun time for me either, and I had spent lots of time in helicopters during my Marine Corps life. A person can grieve in the safety of a cruise ship. That isn't worth the risk to the flight crew.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:18 PM

Rhonda66- Sorry if my reply to you sounded as if I was implying you were stupid. I never even considered the coast guard helicopter as I knew they wouldn't have tried to land on the ship for the purpose of picking the husband up.

I was trying to drive the point that just because he was still on the ship didn't mean he was uncaring... he really had no choice if the captain chose to continue on to Bermuda.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 05-14-2008, 08:10 PM

I watched the Inside Edition piece on it and thought it did sound fishy. I didn't watch Nancy Grace so I didn't know that had a tape of her climbing over. This is a sad story.

Dwayne
Old 05-15-2008, 06:18 AM

Hi everyone,I am a little confused as to why this ship did not have to return to Port since it was not that far out to begin with I don't think anyone on that ship enjoyed that cruise I know I would not have are ther different laws at sea? Seems like they just went on as if nothing happened!!

Closed Thread

Tags
2008, chat, cruise, csi, dawn, deck, incident, lido, location, ncl, norwegian, nowegian, reviews, sea, ship, shipcruize, stranded