Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2008, 12:45 PM

Just had a fun thought, and it might be cool to see where this takes us.

As a disclaimer, this is meant for fun only - I wouldn't start this if I had any intention of actually doing it. I guess if it goes the wrong way or people begin to take it too seriously, it will be closed. I don't want to encourage anyone to break the rules.

So - people joke about hiding out on debarkation day and staying on for another cruise. Letís say you actually wanted to do this. Now, of course they would immediately know you were still onboard when they checked the system and saw that you were never cleared from the ship. But let us ignore that for now.

So how would you go about it? Where would you initially hide? What rules would you need to make for yourself so that you didn't get caught? Could you somehow manage to visit some of the ports? How do you keep low key, while still having fun at the same time?

You could probably get food pretty easily if you stuck to the windjammer. And as long as you didn't try to buy anything (including drinks), you may not be noticed. Sleeping would be tough though - where would you go so as to not attract attention? Would you need to shower at the pool showers? How many cruises do you think could do before getting caught (and prob. arrested and banned)?

I have a few other ideas, but I'm curious to see what others think.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:17 AM

The maitre d' on the NCL Sky said I could hide out in his upper bunk. So, maybe that could be a plan. I was thinking more of the tenders. Hiding out in those until after you sail and after the muster drill. Food isn't a problem, but I haven't figured out the showers and where to stash the clothes.

Since it's make believe. I'd like to be the lady that lives on Princess. She's lived on board different ships for 18 years, that's what I call a true fantasy.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:37 PM

really? i hadnt heard of her? thats got to be quite a life

i was thinking of even more creative ways to hide - maybe stay inside the waterslide if it was one of the fully covered "tube" kinds? or maybe just simply jump behind one of the bars?

im still trying to figure out the sleeping problem...i guess hiding behind a bar might work for that too, but you would prob get caught after a night or two...maybe you would need to sleep during the day in a lounge chair, then spend your nights doing activities
Old 10-10-2008, 04:32 PM
Mike, you didn't specify any particular cruise line; but on Princess, the Spa area would be a good bet. You could stash your clothes in a locker in the locker room, shower there, and maybe sleep on a massage table when they cease operations at night and after the cleaning crew has been through.

The secret would be to look confident, like you always know exactly what you are doing. The crew is not used to challenging anybody unless they are doing something really out of line or out of place.

I would think you could hold out for three cruises. Somewhere on that third one somebody is going to realize you've been on for a really long time.

How do I know all this? Remember, I used to work for Princess and we musicians had a lot of spare time on our hands. We already figured out how to take a free cruise. Before 9/11 I could have told you how to even get on and off the ship.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:46 PM

Rick beat me to it with the Spa showering idea. That one is obvious and I actually would use the spa showers on our Conquest cruise. Our cabin was on the spa deck and while the girls had the cabin shower tied up, I we walk down the hall and shower in the mens locker room. The shower was actually bigger and more like home.

I doubt you could get on and off the ship in the ports anymore. The security has gotten way too tight to try to chance doing that.

As far as sleeping goes, I'm sure you could find a place. If I was still young and single (which I assume would be the case if one were to think of doing this) I'm sure I could find another young single gal .....
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 10-14-2008, 06:45 AM

i didnt really know the spas had full showers, but thats a really good idea...as for sleeping, you would need to really be careful...if you got caught sleeping someone place weird, you could prob get away with it once...but then the staff/crew knows your face, and it becomes more diffcult

i had thought about shacking up with a fellow cruiser for the week - thats prob a good bet...but you would need to avoid all conversation about your "cabin"...unless you did some scouting and found someone who might be cool with your plan, and then you could work out an arrangment to stay the entire week....that would be perfect
Old 11-14-2008, 12:57 PM
Easy answer for me. I'd hide in my daughters cabin. Perhaps I could even get away pretending I was crew for a week, I was in the Navy.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:02 PM
Or How about the laundry. You could slip into a washer if someone came by until the ship sailed, grab a spare life jacket somewhere so you don't miss boat drill, that might be the easiest time to get caught
Old 11-21-2008, 04:32 AM

Speaking of Navy, when my Navy ship pulled into Martinique a couple of sailors from our sister ship hooked up with a couple gals from a cruise ship that was in port. They ended up getting underway on the wrong vessel. Of course this was way pre-9/11.

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, ideas, pretend, ship, spas