Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2008, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Yesterday was an interesting weather day for us in north Alabama. They are also saying it will be bad Saturday night. Here is video of a tornado that came through a little west of us (probably closer to Penny).
Old 05-09-2008, 01:08 PM

Wow, quite a video. Didn't look like a big tornado but it still packed quite a punch. I see those videos of massive tornados in Tornado Alley in the TX panhandle and OK up through KS and wonder why folks choose to live there. Then you see predictions on earthquakes for parts of CA and I wonder the same. But here I am in Houston, 50 miles from a very likely port for huricanes and the site of the deadliest natural disaster in US history and have become used to the preparation and am bothered very little by the posibility. I guess mother nature can turn your world upside-down anywhere.

Cheers, Neil
Old 05-09-2008, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Like most tornadoes, that one was just a few yards wide and of the EF-2 variety. The monster EF-4 and EF-5 tornadoes are the bad boys.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:54 PM

We spent over 1/2 hour in the basement yesterday. On the way home I only saw a couple of limbs down and a few garbage cans strewn about. Once again, we were lucky. A co-worker's cousin's house was destroyed yesterday, along with a family cemetery. Thankfully, no one was hurt in his family anyway.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:09 PM
Administrator

Doublehead resort got nailed too. We stayed in one of those cabins a few years ago.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:59 PM

I saw that on the news yesterday and thought of you and Penny. I am glad you both are safe. I have been through some hurricanes, but I have yet to see one pick up a car and toss it like that! Pretty scary! Hope all goes well today.

Dwayne
Old 05-10-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
We spent over 1/2 hour in the basement yesterday.
Seems odd since living in Houston for so many years to hear someone talk about basements. There is no such thing here. The water table is too high, everything is built on a slab or piers depending on soil conditions and elevation. I grew up in KY and we had a glorious basement I spent much of my early years in, playing ping pong or darts or a hundred other things set up down there. I miss having a basement! Would really come in handy when hurricanes threaten our area.

Cheers, Neil
Old 05-10-2008, 08:24 PM

I miss having a basement too. It was always the coolest place in the house during the summer. There are only a few places where I live that would be feasable. I would love to have even a small one as a storm shelter. Hope all faired well today.

Dwayne
Old 05-10-2008, 08:28 PM

My heart goes out for those devastated by the tornadoes that ripped through Oklahoma and Missouri.

Sonny
Old 05-10-2008, 09:32 PM
Administrator

Long night for us. They have issued a tornado warning for my county based on a storm that is over 60 miles away from me.

Closed Thread