Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2007, 11:57 PM
I'm a sucker for Cognac, and my favourite is Otard VSOP.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 12-05-2007, 08:16 AM

Frase- I have a bunch of them...

Sonny
Old 12-05-2007, 08:35 AM

I usually purchase Baileys on board ships because it is sooooo expensive here. I bought a big bottle on the Magica for $25, here it's $35 for a little itty bitty bottle. We bought 4 bottles of Cruzan rum last year, they had it on sale 4 for $20. My favorite was the Mango Rum, great for cooking and sipping. I also purchase Grey Goose Vodka on board since it is less than half price, both my hubby and I love dirty vodka martinis.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:21 AM

Sonny, I'm at all of your crazy emoticons.

have a great Christmas
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 12-05-2007, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I usually purchase Baileys on board ships because it is sooooo expensive here.
What liquor isn't expensive in Alabama? One of my culture shocks when I moved here in 1984 was the price of alcoholic beverages. At least Athens has an ABC store which is cheaper than the private stores.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:39 PM

if you want to talk about expensive booze, lets talk about the canadian side of niagara falls (not the duty free shops)....the beer prices were insane...i forget exactly how much, but it was so bad that all my college buddies and i could afford wass a large bottle of crappy vodka for $50...this was a few years ago
Old 12-05-2007, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Beers:
quote:
What liquor isn't expensive in Alabama? One of my culture shocks when I moved here in 1984 was the price of alcoholic beverages. At least Athens has an ABC store which is cheaper than the private stores.

ABC Liquor store? Already Been Cocktailed? Alcohol Beer and Coke? Another Beer Can? I have a million of them...
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

Old 12-05-2007, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim C.:
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Beers:
quote:

ABC Liquor store? Already Been Cocktailed? Alcohol Beer and Coke? Another Beer Can? I have a million of them...

JimC,
You are obviously a newbie in Texas. When I was growing up there, you went to the "icehouse" to buy your beer and the liquor store to buy your alcohol (assuming you didn't live in a dry county. For example, College Station was in a dry county but there was a bridge at the county line nick-named (you guessed it) "Whiskey Bridge" where the Aggies used to run to get their booze. I went to school in San Antonio so we didn't have that problem. However, if you went to a bar, you would buy "set-ups" but your liquor had to remain in a brown paper bag on the floor under the table (but NOT at the bar). Then "private clubs" came into being. You bought a membership, which provided you with a locker for your liquor (with a tag that had your name and member number) and for which you paid monthly dues. When you arrived, you gave the waitress or the bartender your key, ordered your drink, which they would mix and serve and for which you paid a hefty sum. Thank goodness my dad was generous with me! That's why the highways to Mexico were VERY well traveled!

Living in California spoils you. I've gotten up on a Sunday morning and realized I've invited people over for Bloody Marys but I'm out of Vodka. No problem - jump in the car, drive to Safeway and get everything you need.

Then I moved to Charlotte and that was a huge culture shock. The ABC stores (what is that) were closed on Sunday (blue laws) and you couldn't get a Bloody Mary at brunch until NOON! And to think some of the best moonshine is still produced in the woods there!

But I digress - my favorites are Bombay Sapphire Gin and tonic or martini, Glenfiddich Single Malt, Sauza Tres Generaciones Anejo, Sauza Hornitos, El Patron Anejo, all neat.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:46 PM

I am mostly a beer drinker, I do occasionaly like a bloody mary or a rum drink. Mostly on the cruise. I usually get a bottle of Absolute and Bacardi on the cruise (because it is so cheap) to keep at home for company and get togethers.

The Blue Laws in the Carolinas are weird. Luckily we can buy beer and wine in my county 24/7, but it is only 1 of 2 exceptions in the entire state. No carry-out liqour on Sunday, but you can get a drink in a restaurant or bar in our county. All of our liqour stores are privately owned, but are regulated to their hours of operation. Mon-Sat 9am-7pm. Instead of being allowed to say they are liqour stores on their signs, they must have 3 red dots. This is a state that just this year abolished the mini bottle law. Before that all restaurants and bars had to use mini bottles. Strange laws in the southland.

Dwayne
Old 12-05-2007, 07:47 PM

Chuckster- Yes we are new to Texas, we have only been here 14 years. We don't live in a dry county (thank goodness) but being from Chicago where you can buy alcohol anywhere any day any time, it is a still a shock to not be able to buy your Sunday football party beer until after noon. And in some resturants they still do the "membership card" thing. Its like we are a bunch of childern...

Of course you can still go down the road on a non-Sunday and buy your beer at "The Beer Barn". I kid you not, a drive through "barn" that you can buy your beer and never get out of your car. SOmething seems wrong with that even to me.

I know you like your Sapphire, but I'm more of a Vodka man. And not really too picky about which one. Absolute is my recent choice but only because we got two large bottles cheap on our last cruise.

Closed Thread

Tags
athens, bought, buying, cruise, favorite, jamaica, jamaican, kahlua, liquer, liquors, martini, norwegian, pumpkin, rum, strike