Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2007, 06:35 PM
Since I don't drink alcohol, I know very little about liquor. But when I go on a cruise, I see it for sale "duty-free" everywhere.I compared the prices, and they were about half the price they sell them for at home. I was even tempted to purchase some rum, which I use to bake rum cakes. Yes, after eating some rum cakes on my first and second cruise, I found a good recipe for rum cake and can now bake my own.

Anyway, my question is:
When on a cruise(or not), what is your favorite liquor to buy?

I am especially curious about what your favorite rum is. Since that would be the liquor I am most likely to purchase.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:08 PM

Well, I LOVE Scotch, preferably single malt. I like it straight out of the bottle, poured into a small glass, no ice. When we honeymooned in Scotland, I had the pleasure of having lots of old scotch. Usually 25 y/o or older. I have always liked whiskey, and I got into scotch during my 30s. I have never liked rum at all. Not even anything rum flavored. I usually just get a single malt scotch, when I do drink, which isn't that much anymore. Lil' Lori

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 12-04-2007, 06:01 AM

To me, scotch tastes like soap. I've heard it's an acquired taste. I don't drink much alcoholic beverage, only special on occasions and when on a cruise (which is a special occasion). I do like some of the flavored rum, like coconut, and spiced rum. I found out I like gin and tonic after a friend suggested it while on a cruise. I like rum and coke, especially spiced rum.

Cheers

Sonny
Old 12-04-2007, 09:20 AM

im mostly a beer drinker, but i tried something this weekend that i really enjoyed....captain morgans (spiced rum) and root beer....i KNOW that captain is cheap, flavored rum and that most true rum drinkers will laugh at me....but, if you put the rum on ice, and add a little root beer, you get a sweet version of rum that was always how i expected rum to taste....and if you add just a little root beer, its nice to sip...i bet it would work with regular, dark rum too...though i wouldnt waste anything expensive on this

again, im mostly a beer drinker, so i know little about "good" liquor
Old 12-04-2007, 11:06 AM

Just a little bit? Shouldn't it be 50/50?

Sonny
Old 12-04-2007, 01:46 PM

yeah, 50/50 was good also...but i tried adding even less, and you end up with a sweeter version of the rum...so you still get some of the flavor of sipping straight rum, without it being quite as intense
Old 12-04-2007, 03:03 PM

When I said 50/50 I meant half soda and half rum.

Sonny
Old 12-04-2007, 03:29 PM
Administrator

My favorite rum is Appleton Estate V/X because it is an aged rum but still not high-priced. Very good.

But for day-to-day rum drinking I default to Bacardi or Ron Rico white. Consistent product.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:43 PM

Mike, I also like Captain Morgan and you'd probably like another of my favorite sweeter drinks, Southern Comfort. Also like Jim Beam and Jack black label. Along with Dave I also like Bacardi. There are a bunch of rums made locally on several caribbean islands along with local beers. In St. Lucia their local beer is Piton, after the mountain formations of the same name there. Seems each island in the southern carib had it's own and they were all good.

Cheers, Neil
Old 12-04-2007, 09:24 PM
Thank you everyone for your reply.

How about Myer's Jamaican Rum? That is my favorite for use in rum cake recipes.

Sonny V: How did you get those "emoticons" you used at the end of your post?:
- The smiley faces toasting
- The smiley face hitting itself with a hammer
- The smiley face with a Pepsi can

Closed Thread

Tags
athens, bought, buying, cruise, favorite, jamaica, jamaican, kahlua, liquer, liquors, martini, norwegian, pumpkin, rum, strike