Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2010, 07:07 PM
Dave, I don't know if you have been to Israel but you would LOVE the big Israeli breakfasts--things I would have never thought of for breakfast, but they all go together: smoked fish, all manner of vegetables, wonderful baked goods . . .ah, making my mouth water just thinking about it.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:26 PM
Administrator

I spent several days in Israel when my Navy ship docked at Ashdod in 1982. But they never let us out in time for breakfast in town. I loved my time there. Wonderful people. I've never felt so welcomed at a port. A few of us went to Tel Aviv one evening and we couldn't spend our money no matter how hard we tried. People were buying food and drinks for us all night. It was the one time where I was happy that we were required to wear uniforms on liberty.

BTW, that Ashdod visit was also the first time I ate chicken hearts, gizzards, and livers. A man befriended us and took us to a place where they were grilling the above over coals on skewers. I didn't like the idea of eating them, but I also didn't want to offend our host so I ate them. Another food discovery for me! I think I downed 5 or 6 skewers of them.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:55 AM

Had to check out this post with any word that mentions breakfast...That is the best meal of the day and one that I could do 7 days a week if my health allowed it...Full breakfast like the ones listed in the Cracker Barrel menu that Dave included...Haven't had grits since I was stationed in the south during my service years.
I have many pictures of great breakfasts that I have taken over the years...Do I need help?
Yum - Yum, give me some !

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 06-30-2010, 12:44 PM
So, Dwayne - - - did you ever get your wallet and a good meal ? ? ?
Old 06-30-2010, 09:11 PM

Thanks Susan, yes I went down later that day and retrieved my wallet. Also enjoyed a wonderful dinner at Bonefish Grill that evening. It sure beat cool beans and a leftover hotdog for breakfast.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:09 AM

Wow, from a pleasant breakfast to "Big Andy" and his round the world eating experiences. Dave, I am also a huge fan of Zimmern and enjoy it when he faces a new food item that he just can't do; he will manage at least one bite of anything he is faced with. I love a good breakfast and manage to eat 1 a day during my cruises or when we are at the Lake during the summers (fresh air make for a hearty appetite)in New England. I have many great pictures of a breakfast plate full of great eats. As I've said before, do I need help? Nothing like a breakfast to get the day off to a great start.

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 07-01-2010, 01:42 PM

No, peterl, you don't need help. In fact, that's how we're supposed to eat. A larger breakfast, moderate lunch and a light dinner. We have it backwards now. In the not so distant past, they would have a very hearty breakfast and not return until dinner. Working out in the elements all day burned off whatever was consumed in the morning. I wonder if they kept track of cholesterol back then? I wonder if anyone cared
Old 07-01-2010, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper is the Adelle Davis quote. Obviously insert queen and princess if appropriate.

This study supports the quote.

Tags
america, ashdod, ashod, breakfast, holland, israel, whats