Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2008, 10:45 PM

Is there anyone out there addicted to travel books, magazines, maps etc?
I have searched all my local bookstores and the internet for the best travel books. Of course I love all the cruise books (but honestly how many can you really have?). I love going to the bookstore and just going through all the different books and even the travel magazines and the maps. If I could I would have a room with maps on all the walls. I haven’t been to that many places…yet…but it is fun to dream and plan.

So if you are into travel books what kind are your favorites? How many do you have? Do you find them on the internet? Bookstores?
Old 05-24-2008, 10:45 PM

Is there anyone out there addicted to travel books, magazines, maps etc?
I have searched all my local bookstores and the internet for the best travel books. Of course I love all the cruise books (but honestly how many can you really have?). I love going to the bookstore and just going through all the different books and even the travel magazines and the maps. If I could I would have a room with maps on all the walls. I haven’t been to that many places…yet…but it is fun to dream and plan.

So if you are into travel books what kind are your favorites? How many do you have? Do you find them on the internet? Bookstores?
Old 05-26-2008, 07:23 PM
Administrator

The better question for me is not the number of travel books I own, but the number of bookcases in which they are stored.

I browse through the travel section of bookstores often. The books I purchase are usually about areas to which I'll be cruising.

Most of our books, though, are purchased during our travels. For instance, when we were cruising the Norwegian Fjords last summer, we picked up a few history books on some of the towns we visited. We did the same thing when on a land tour to Tucson, Arizona last year.

Cruise books, particularly those on ocean liners and cruise ships, remain my favorite. I must have well over 50 of those.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:24 PM

That is my other problem of wanting to collect books from the places we have been...I don't know if I have enough room!

Do you know if each ship (or each line) has a book on their ships (that are more than just a book advertising their cruises)?

Thanks,

Tanja
Old 05-27-2008, 09:41 AM

We have a small studio apt that we use for guest. I would not even want to guess at the number of local travel books that have been left there. We started it by buying a few books of things to do and see in our area.
We also have a fair amount of travel related books from around the world. We host a few exchange students ever year, Word got out that we like "local books" from their area now we have a pretty good collection.
We have names and address of people from all over the world that have stayed with us. We would love to take them up on their offers to visit them in their Country.
Our most interesting year was when we had Students from Israel and Palestine. We learned allot that year. The same year we had a Russian girl stay. Her Granfather had worked on the missiles that many of us used to hide from under our school desk! Who would have thought we would have been sharing a meal together decades later.
We have another 12 coming next weekend.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:16 AM

Any & ALL Travel info mags/books/maps/etc...gets my attention.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:52 PM

And I thought I was the only travel fanatic!! Sometimes I have to talk to myself and say "Self, you are getting a bit overboard" My family thinks I overdo the travel talk but as I told them I am getting older and my needs are changing.Travel fills my mind all day long.I am glad I am not alone.Now if only I had a man who thought as I did!!!!!
Old 06-08-2008, 10:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by livetotravel:
And I thought I was the only travel fanatic!! Sometimes I have to talk to myself and say "Self, you are getting a bit overboard" My family thinks I overdo the travel talk but as I told them I am getting older and my needs are changing.Travel fills my mind all day long.I am glad I am not alone.Now if only I had a man who thought as I did!!!!!

I know how you feel...I am consumed by all the travel "stuff" though I have had a lot of time off of work due to surgery and I am going back to work tomorrow and won't have as much time but I am signing up for a class at one of our local colleges that has a whole selection of tourism classes. So I am going to take one for the summer and then one or two in the fall. My husband tolerates me pretty well with all the travel talk. I do try and talk about his hobbies once in awhile

Besides cruising what other travel do you like to do? Trains, resorts, road trips ect...

Closed Thread

Tags
addicted, book, books, buying, travel