Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2009, 03:43 PM
Administrator

This is shaping up to be a Super Bowl with no teams that I like. My Giants went down in flames, and now my backup Chargers are falling to pieces. It will be quite disappointing to have teams such as Arizona, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and Baltimore going there. I can't stand any of them! I of course will watch the game, but it will be one where I pick the least distasteful team to win. Ugh!

A high school friend of mine is a strength coach for the Cravens. I guess I'd like to see him get a Super Bowl ring.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:43 PM
Administrator

This is shaping up to be a Super Bowl with no teams that I like. My Giants went down in flames, and now my backup Chargers are falling to pieces. It will be quite disappointing to have teams such as Arizona, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and Baltimore going there. I can't stand any of them! I of course will watch the game, but it will be one where I pick the least distasteful team to win. Ugh!

A high school friend of mine is a strength coach for the Cravens. I guess I'd like to see him get a Super Bowl ring.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:06 AM

People in those particular markets might disagree with you, Dave, but apparently the rest of the nation shares your views. I am one of those people who keeps up with numbers (I was a mathematics major) and I have noticed that the Super Bowl ad demand and revenues are down sharply over the recent Super Bowls. Some people blame it on the economy but I am a realist. The economy can flatline and people will still watch the ultimate NFL game. The only reason that the ad economy would tank is the promise of having two lackluster teams competing against each other
Old 01-12-2009, 08:12 AM
Administrator

I am going with PHL and BAL in the Super Bowl. Since I am honor bound as a Giants fan to hate the Beagles (long standing feud) I have to pick BAL to win. And then my old high school pal and Boys State compadre John Dunn will get a ring.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:02 AM

Well, you can always watch the super bowl just for the commercials Dave.... I'm with you as there are no teams I care for. I am leaning towards the Cardinals only because of how long its been for them to have even make it into the the playoffs. Not that I really care if the win or lose.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 01-12-2009, 09:02 AM

You did Boys State too, huh? I am afraid Poe might have the last word in that particular matchup. Will Baltimore make it to the Super Bowl... quoth the raven, "nevermore".
Old 01-12-2009, 09:30 AM
Administrator

The current line is the Beagles and the Thieves. Yuck. I guess I'd have to go with Pittsburgh in that match up. And wouldn't that be ironic, with the half-time show being Springsteen and all his factory worker songs?

I like Joe Flacco with BAL. He has a lot of poise for a rookie. Roethlesberger is a great player but his style is going to catch up with him physically and I can't see his having a long playing career. Too many hits. One can only take so many concussions before the doctor says "you are done".

Now to plan my Super Bowl menu. I had Italian Beef sandwiches last year. Hmmm.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:37 AM
Administrator

quote:
You did Boys State too, huh?

Yes. In NY. John got picked because he was one of the best high school athletes in the state. Although I could say I was picked because of outstanding academic achievement, the truth is it probably had more to do with my uncle being a big shot in the American Legion, and the fact I had short hair in an age of long hair styles. I still remember the legionnaire who gave me the award telling me "we like how you keep your hair cut". Talk about an ego deflator!

But it was an interesting experience and I suddenly got invitations to seek admission to West Point and Annapolis, and was also selected for several other awards from the Elks, DAR, etc. All because I had short hair. It's like a Dilbert scenario.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:00 AM

I'm bummed, too. Guess I'll have to root for Arizona, although I doubt they'll get there.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:08 AM
Administrator

The talking heads on Fox, CBS, ESPN, annoy me to no end. During yesterday's AFC game you'd think they were all on the Steelers payroll given their studio comments. "Well this is what Pittsburgh needs to do to put this one away, yada, yada, yada".

Same thing on Saturday with Carolina, but they all had foot-in-mouth disease when Arizona won.

And please...Coors, will you get rid of the stupid commercials with Mike Ditka? They are awful. Actually that whole series with the coaches is bad.

Closed Thread

Tags
bowl, cruise, nevermore, nfl, quoth, raven, reviews, super