Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2007, 11:57 PM
Going Cruisin':

I thought Three's Company was rather funny. At least in the first three seasons. Then like most sitcoms, they had a tendency to get dumb and dumber.
Such as Happy Days: it started out as a cute sitcom, funny at times, good enough entertainment for the family. Then near the final season, The Fonz was wearing his leather jacket while water skiing, and performing the death defying stunt of jumping over a shark in the water.

You mentioned dumb shows from the 70s and 80s. But don't forget the 60s too; who can forget Gilligan's Island?
Old 08-21-2007, 05:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by goin' cruisin':
Over my 52 years of life, and perhaps because of the field in which I work, it appears America is getting dumber. Anybody have any thoughts on this?
Hmmmm... I wonder how the replies to this tread would be if someone like me started it

But seriously, I think the whole world is getting dumber. I sometimes get real surprised here in Norway over how ignorance and stupidity is so common among people.

I think those blaming brainless TV-series and "reality" shows are onto something.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 08-21-2007, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by goin' cruisin':
Over my 52 years of life, and perhaps because of the field in which I work, it appears America is getting dumber. Anybody have any thoughts on this?
I think the dumbing of America has many sources and, in my opinion, it all starts in the home. Parents are relying on mind-numbing television to raise/rear their children. I think obesity in children is a major issue and is contributing to the dumbing of America. Lack of exercise contributes to the dumbing factor. Art/Music programs in public schools being cut is a contributing factor.

It is not the children's fault. We (adults) are to blame.

Carnival Glory 2004
Carnival Liberty 2007
Carnival Inspiration 2008
Carnival Triumph 2008
Explorer of the Seas 2009
Old 08-21-2007, 06:16 AM
Banned

I think, Svein, that it would go over about as well as if I started a thread about the dumbing of Norway. It is okay to make fun of ourselves, but not someone else (it's no longer politically correct).

60s TV "Get Smart" was comedic genious.

Going back a little to the education our kids get, it is not entirely the education's system's fault; did not mean to imply that. GenCan, you're right; it all starts at home. However, as the cliche states, "it takes a village to raise a child." Here in California, the voting public repeatedly defeats efforts to infuse more money into the school system. Then we complain about how poorly the system is managed and we wonder why Johnny can't read.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:19 AM
I guess you're right.

Old 08-21-2007, 06:41 AM
Banned

Maybe it's time to chlorinate the gene pool.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:51 AM
Banned

GenCan, it's not just art and music that are abruptly being cut in schools' curriculums. I was talking to a parent at my daughter's college yesterday. They live in the Bronx.

According to her, even the sciences are being cut down to once a week at the inner city school level. There are too many students and not enough educators to teach the class. Therefore, they are forced to rotate the science program.

We are in serious trouble in this country if the day has come that we have to start cutting out science class.

They have already eliminated physical education classes at colleges in New York. Just feed them more starches in the dining halls. That should solve the problem. Is it any wonder we are an obese nation?

A'ndrea
Old 08-21-2007, 07:06 AM
Banned

Teachers don't want to work in a school where they will be stabbed or shot in the parking lot for failing a student.

And about obesity -- have you ever noticed that people who use food stamps are fat and so are there kids?
Old 08-21-2007, 07:07 AM

I hear you Andrea. That is why I am in the process of going back to school to get teacher certified. I am currently a graphic designer but I want to make a difference in another area. I do believe one person can make a difference, even if it is one one child's life.

Carnival Glory 2004
Carnival Liberty 2007
Carnival Inspiration 2008
Carnival Triumph 2008
Explorer of the Seas 2009
Old 08-21-2007, 07:14 AM
Banned

Physical education has been replaced by computer games. Quality family time has been replaced by mind-numbing "reality" shows.

Closed Thread