Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2008, 05:53 AM

Rich, I will. I don't have anything imported to Firefox. I just use it on the boards for the automatic spelling alert feature. I just opened IE7 to my Yahoo home page at the same time I have Firefox in another window. So far so good.

I'll give Penny a "ping" to see if she knows what the problem is.

Dwayne
Old 08-28-2008, 09:26 AM

Usually, I don't install a service pack for a couple of months or more after it's release. It sounds like you might have had some spyware on the computer before you installed SP3. Since SP3 has tightened security, it might be fighting to take over from the spyware. If you have Spybot or Adaware, update the programs and run them. If not, download them from lavasoft (Adaware) or CDNet (Spybot S&D). Be careful downloading Spybot, there are some cleverly placed ads that look like you're downloading Spybot, but you're really downloading spyware. Make sure your download says Spybot S&D 1.6.x. Hope this will help.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by penny3333:
Usually, I don't install a service pack for a couple of months or more after it's release. It sounds like you might have had some spyware on the computer before you installed SP3. Since SP3 has tightened security, it might be fighting to take over from the spyware. If you have Spybot or Adaware, update the programs and run them. If not, download them from lavasoft (Adaware) or CDNet (Spybot S&D). Be careful downloading Spybot, there are some cleverly placed ads that look like you're downloading Spybot, but you're really downloading spyware. Make sure your download says Spybot S&D 1.6.x. Hope this will help.
I installed Firefox this morning & it's great compared to IE7. I didn't do a restore since I'm sure there must be some security items that I would rather leave in place.
I'm running a check with Spybot S&D right now but I only expect to find the typical cookies & nothing more. I also run AVG which seems to be highly rated.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:30 AM

AVG is very good. Spybot searches for trojans and spyware and adware. They're even worse than viruses any more. I had a nasty one the other day that kept recreating itself. I finally got it off by copying it over to a jump drive and I threw the jump drive away. It hid from everything. I watched it recreate itself and couldn't take it over even in DOS. It was masked by calling itself XP Antivirus 2008, I've also seen XP Antivirus 2009 which does the same thing. Of course, it's not antivirus it redirects you to a website that wants to sell you a product for $49.95. It isn't a real product at all, it installs a back door to steal your identity. Nasty little booger, not detected by any antivirus, because it's spyware-an imbedded zip file with a .fp extention that will change to a .dp extension or anything but a valid extension. Took me all day to get rid of it. It probably would have been faster to rebuild, but it was a faculty machine with tons of data on it.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:10 PM

Thanks, Penny! I knew you would come to the rescue.

The only odd thing I've noticed so far is on my Yahoo home page. My mouse pointer turns into + magnifying glass for my "Top Stories from Reuters" section, instead of the hand link symbol.

I'm only running CA Security Suite, which I just found out is far from the best. It did detect 87 spyware/cookies on my computer. At a detection level of 56% I just read, that is scary!

I did shut it down, and the Windows Firewall before I installed SP3. It's working fine so far other than the Yahoo pointer issue. I'm just glad it didn't mess up my WiFi settings. It has been like heck trying to keep weekly renters off of it. It's sorta funny in a way, the neighbors that were hacking my wireless now have their own..un-secured! I should cancel mine, and connect to theirs.

Dwayne
Old 08-29-2008, 04:13 AM

I re-started my computer again, and now everything is back to normal. I was worried all night it would mess my worksheets up. For some reason it needs 3 re-boots so far to get itself right.

IE8 Beta 2? I don't think so until they get it right this time.

Dwayne
Old 08-29-2008, 06:53 AM

No Beta for me, thank you very much. Even when they do a general release, it's scary!
Old 08-29-2008, 07:45 AM

DON'T install the IE8 beta! From looking around trying to figure out whats wrong with SP3, I found out that SP3 and IE8 beta don't get along well and to back away from IE8 you would have to uninstall sp3 and ie8 and then reinstall sp3 and SP3 to get things back to normal...

You would think after all these years Microshaft would have learned to test things a bit better before release.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 08-29-2008, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim C.:
DON'T install the IE8 beta! From looking around trying to figure out whats wrong with SP3, I found out that SP3 and IE8 beta don't get along well and to back away from IE8 you would have to uninstall sp3 and ie8 and then reinstall sp3 and SP3 to get things back to normal...

You would think after all these years Microshaft would have learned to test things a bit better before release.
I finally gave up trying to get IE7 to work properly & downloaded Firefox.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:46 AM

Quote:
I finally gave up trying to get IE7 to work properly & downloaded Firefox.
Rich, both are working fine now for me. I don't know what is going on with IE7. Penny helped me get it straight when I first started using it. I had a phishing blocker and something else turned on that was messing things up. I've had IE7 for a while now though. I hope you get everything straightened out.

Dwayne

Closed Thread