Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2008, 11:31 AM
For the last few days, I've been asked (when switching on my computer) if I want to install updates as windows xp service pack 3. The thing is that I've heard about alot of people who have had nothing but trouble installing this update and some advise strongly against updating.
So my question is : What is so special about updating.....my xp service pack 2 seems to work fine for me.Is it really going to cause me problems if I update ?

What is the experience that you have had ?

Has anyone upgraded and finds that things are not as good ?

Has anyone upgraded and found that things are significantly better and it really is a good idea to accept the update ?

thanks for any advice you can give me.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:04 PM

Well, its hard to answer Jack. I updated to SP3 and kept getting a weird error message. I'm sure something I had loaded didn't like something in SP3. (Note that I had already been fully updated with the stuff on the windows update site per SP3)

I then uninstalled SP3 by "restoring my system to an earlier date" and things are back to normal.

I also know a couple of people that have installed it and have not had any problems. So I am not sure what the issue was.

So, google on restoring your system for a "how to", make sure you can do it (you have to have system restore turned on to have had an earlier image saved). If you do, go ahead and update it. Try it out for a day or two and then if you are happy you can keep it. If you start having issues, uninstall it.

I'll probably go through my running programs and see if I can find something that needs to be updated and then try again.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Sorry. I am an Apple man and use Mac computers. I do have a Dell laptop sitting around but it has Vista installed.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:06 AM

I too have updated my PC a few days ago; there's nothing new, neither better or worse ...
Old 08-27-2008, 01:38 PM

I installed it last night (desktop) & at first it seemed OK. It installed without any problems. This morning I used the Internet Explorer & it's so slow I'm either considering a restore or downloading firefox. I really hate to do a restore because of the security issues which were included in the update but I can't stand waiting for a newspaper page to download.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:34 PM
I installed it at home and it works fine, so far. But at work I had problems with some of the programs we use through the network, so I had to restore my computer to get rid of it.

Need some cruise help?
Old 08-28-2008, 01:04 AM

I have it downloaded, but haven't installed it yet. I have IE7 and Firefox. I mostly just use Firefox for here and other boards. I'll install it and see what happens. I'll be right back..I hope.

Dwayne
Old 08-28-2008, 02:23 AM

Wow! That was the longest update ever. I have installed the entire Windows operating system quicker than that. I got an error on the initial re-start (that took forever). I re-booted again, and all seems ok so far. I've only just started this test drive though.

Dwayne
Old 08-28-2008, 03:17 AM

Islandcruz- My wife was trying to use the ie 7 last night & it was so slow she had to give up & use the laptop which has Safari. Let us know how yours is after the update is installed.
Good Luck, I'm almost ready to do a restore.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:31 AM

After fighting with my IE7 this morning I finally downloaded Firefox. It's definitely faster than IE7 but when trying to import favorites, cookies, etc. it crashes. I finally got it to bring in my favorites without cookies & passwords so I'll have to manually do so.
IslandCruise - Let us know how you make out.

Closed Thread