Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2007, 06:57 AM
Who is the most inspirational person in your life ? The most inspirational person in my life is my sister and my Pastor.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 08-17-2007, 07:08 AM

Without a doubt, Les Brown. He is a motivational speaker and a wonderful friend. I will be joining him on the Liberty of the Seas soon for his annual cruise workshop.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:20 AM
Banned

It would have to be my friends and family that encouraged me and pushed me, at 38 years old, to go back to school and become an aesthetician. I had serious doubts I would graduate.

I had two daughters in school, juggling their schedules, events and school work, all the while, worrying about my own schedule, grades and tests.

It was the best thing I've ever done for myself.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:25 AM

I think it changes for me. Can't live on old inspiration, becomes perspiration then desperation.

I would have to say, my son. 25 years old, married last September. His wife cheated on him in February. He has gone through incredible pain and suffering but has risen to the top and has found his peace with God and is moving on.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:31 PM

For me it is a nurse I use to work with over 20 years ago. At that time you could work as a nursing assistant without being licensed. Then a law was passed to where you had to be licensed. I did not have time to go to school before the law passed so I challenged the course. This nurse told me there was no way I could pass the test because I had no book learning only on the job training and that was not good enough. Not only did I pass but I had the 2nd highest score. And I went on to get my Nursing Assistant level II and I am now a Hospice & Palliative Care Nursing Assistant specializing in wound care and infant/child care with hospice. And I have been at my career for 16 years and love it!

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 08-17-2007, 08:26 PM
Banned

Rick!
Old 08-18-2007, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Helen Boice. She was a substitute teacher during my junior high and high school years. I was not a good math or science student, yet Mrs. Boice would motivate me whenever she covered for a regular teacher. I loved it when she showed up, since she was so upbeat and believed in me more than I did myself. She was one of those people that makes you feel good to just be around. I remember our 8th grade science teacher got very ill and left school. Mrs. Boice took over the class for what ended up being over half the year. I went from being a C student to all A's. She also seemed to show up when I needed it most during high school. I still remember her telling me "David, you need to believe in yourself. You see yourself as an academic failure. I see you as a future nuclear physicist." Given my profession in nuclear power, she wasn't far off the mark. Perhaps a guardian angel? I'll never know. Sadly, she died many years ago. Even thinking about her as I wrote this brought a smile to my face.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:16 PM
That was a truly nice story. I feel the same way about my high school teacher which taught German and Religion. I loved every class with her.

She's now the head master at the same high school - a very well deserved position as far as I'm concerned. The only bad part is that the students of today will not enjoy her skills as a teacher.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 08-18-2007, 02:38 PM

Dave, I loved your story. I'm old fashioned enough to think that teachers do the most important job in the world. Did you have a chance to tell Mrs. Boice what she did for you?

Sandy
Old 08-18-2007, 02:43 PM
Banned

I actually taught a little English when I lived in Singapore. One of my students was shy and didn't want to participate in the games because he knew he wasn't as good as the other students. I told him he didn't have to join in if he wasn't comfortable. In no time at all he saw everyone else having so much fun he joined in too! When he had to leave to go to another school his father came in and thanked me for being so good with his son. That is what inspires me to be a better person, to be able to help those that seem to get lost in the system and need someone to give them the confidence in life to be successful.

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, inspirational, review